• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Basic questions regarding option pricing with FDM

When calculating the option prices with the use of finite difference methods you approximate the derivatives in the Black & Scholes PDE.
Where do you get the option prices used in these approximations? I mean, we are supposed to calculate the option price, and at the same time you need prices to do the approximations of the derivatives.
Also, what is x in the BS PDE du/dt = 1/2 * sigma^2 * d^u/dx^2?

Thanks in advance.

You need the boundary condition, i.e. the payoff function, to start off the calculation. Read the method carefully.
x is the underlying asset.

You need the boundary condition, i.e. the payoff function, to start off the calculation. Read the method carefully.
x is the underlying asset.

This is the initial/payoff function and is not a BC, really.

You need 2 numerical boundary conditions to make the problem solvable:

. when S = 0 (near field)
. when S = Smax (far field)

You need to estimate Smax (domain truncation) and then BCs for call and put cases.

I posted an example elsewhere for your same question.

You need to estimate Smax (domain truncation) and then BCs for call and put cases.

I posted an example elsewhere for your same question.

Domain truncation can be estimated based on statistical significance.

Domain truncation can be estimated based on statistical significance.

The results of Kangro can be used to compute this. But there is a more accurate way and the resulting BCs are easy to find: we use domain transformation (e.g. y = S/(S+K)) and the Fichera boundary conditions. So, no truncation error, and when used with ADE method the result is very accurate. It's all documented.

I think you posted this question on another forum as well. But if you look at this here, it pretty much describes what I'm trying to explain http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_3E_7nRJs1Mw/TDC7UNeZw9I/AAAAAAAAEMc/R2G2vKji3hs/s400/Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

I like to think of the FDM method (explicit one specifically) to be similar to the binomial model. I think this paper here shows it to be so
http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/groups/finance/WP/rpf292.pdf

Yes, I posted.

Well, I think drawing analogies between lattice method and FDM will break down at some stage in my opinion. They have different properties.

The mathematical basis of FDM is well-developed, has been known and used for 200 years and has a huge literature. I would suggest learning without leaning on lattice methods, it becomes confusing at some stage. Or stick to lattice.

The binomial method is useful for motivating.

I still don't understand where you get S from. You guys say that you start off at the end point (at time T) because you know the payoff VK(S, T) = max(S - K, 0) at this point in time. But how do you know all the different underlying asset prices S at the time point T (and all other time points)? In the explicit FDM you need Sj-1, Sj and Sj+1 (all at time i+1) to calculate the price at time i.

I agree with your point Daniel.

Pehr, we determine the underlying asset price S at the end points by first assuming an upperbound for S ((S_{max}=2*Strike) or something along those lines) and a lowerbound (S_{min}=0). Then we divide (\delta S={(S_{max}-S_{min})}/{N}) to get our asset steps and so now we have asset values (S_i=i\delta S) for (0\le i \le N) along the grid.

Back