• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Becoming a Quant: My next step?

Hi all, I'd like some advice on what should be my next step.

At 27, I do not foresee myself in the IT/Computer Engineering field for much longer. Currently I am a VAS Prepaid Engineer for a telecom company. I have been in telecom for nearly 2 years and in this position for about 6 months.

I have a background in computer science with a minor in electronics. I screwed up my undergrad, graduating with only a pass degree.

Options:

1)I would re do a BSc degree in Applied Mathematics, from there apply to do a MSc in Finanancial Engineering in the US.

2)I would try to get into a MSc programme in Economics, do well, and from there apply to do a MSc in FE.

I am currently studying Mathematics on my own, and intend to start a blog about computational sciences using the python language. My main concern is my pass degree and how I will be able to overcome this obstacle. I am also unaware of how these schools review their candidates, the trend so far is either you have greater than 2 years experience in the financial industry or the person has superb academic performance,

Positive comments/advice would be appreciated.

What about trying to land a job at a bank where you are close to the quants? From there, you could do a transition into a pure quant role. On one hand I've seen an astonishing amount of non-Quant people doing a quant's job, on the other hand, this breed is surely dying out as there are education programmes that specifically train quants.

What good is a BSc in Mathematics, anyway? Doesn't guarantee you a job in the Quant field at all! Plus, it's very painful (been there myself) :)

Back