• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Becoming a quant with an unrelated undergraduate background

Hello everyone,

Please I have an undergraduate degree in Insurance ( a business related degree), which means I barely took maths/CS related courses. However, I would really love to be a quantitative trader. I have tried looking at taking post-graduate courses in Maths, Statistics but most of these courses require a strong mathematical background. Please can someone advise me on how to become a quant trader given the peculiarity of my background.
P.S: I'm an international applicant.

Hello everyone,

Please I have an undergraduate degree in Insurance ( a business related degree), which means I barely took maths/CS related courses. However, I would really love to be a quantitative trader. I have tried looking at taking post-graduate courses in Maths, Statistics but most of these courses require a strong mathematical background. Please can someone advise me on how to become a quant trader given the peculiarity of my background.

You will need to take many courses to build the proper foundation. I would try to get into a STEM based master's program. I am curious - how are you interested in quant trading without a background in math? Insurance to math is quite the jump. Have you talked to people working in the industry to see if it interests you? This transition would take a lot of time, effort, and money - you should be certain you are interested in the core quantitative work.

I come from an unrelated background. I have been talking to someone on here regarding good foundation steps to get into for a position in quant.

Community College - I encourage using the tutoring center hours, and in-office for homework/assistance. This behavior will set you up for at least some succession as one advances higher. If it works out well and acing Cal 1, you can actually be eligible to become a tutor. This is also a cheaper option that can help get you into a STEM Masters Program.

Any seasoned veterans on here able to chime in?

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Transitioning from Insurance to Quantitative Finance is a giant leap. If you are persistent in making the change, then:

- Build a solid mathematical and statistical background by using the available online resources on Udacity, Coursera, etc.,
- Familiarize yourself with core financial concepts as it relates to quantitative finance. e.g., stocks, options, futures, swaps, interest rates, etc.
- Learn how to code with Python, R, and C++ -- As recommended by QuantNet because most quantitative finance post-graduate programs are mathematics and programming intensive.
- Apply to any quantitative finance program of your choice. I will advise that you emphasize your growth in the areas I mentioned above in your statement of purpose (personal statement) so that the admission officer can get a feel that you can thrive in the program regardless of your non-traditional background.

All the best!

Back