• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Becoming Quant from Tulane MRisk?

Hi, I’m now a 3<SUP>rd</SUP> year in a Chinese university. We had a joint program with Tulane University and I’m going there for a Master in Financial Risk Management degree.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
I’m interested in quant finance, particularly stat arbitrage and algo trading, for years. Though both schools I would be attending aren’t very quantitative, I took courses in real and functional analysis, quant finance, game theory, C++, etc. and self-learnt things like Bayesian statistics, stochastic calculus, nonlinear time series, microstructure and Java. I am also doing research on statistical arbitrage and technical analysis borrowing ideas from multiple latest papers like Hogan, et al.(2004).
<o:p> </o:p>
The problem is, could I just go from Tulane to a quant research/trader job? Could I just prove myself with some working papers, or is a MFE/PHD necessary? The financial computing PhD offered by UCL seems decent but scholarship is only offered to EU students so it’s unaffordable to me.
<o:p> </o:p>
In an environment where so many jobs ask for “5+ years of quant research experience, expert in C++, Java, SQL, PhD of a hard science” it seems that even a decent MFE or PhD can hardly fulfill all requirements.

Thank you all for your help!

that's FRM cram class

If your goal is to become a quant, I think it's a little bit of waste of time and money to take the MRisk program at Tulane.

It only helps you to take the FRM exam.

You should aim at the real financial engineering program.

It's true that it doesn't really make sense to go there, but admission numbers for intl students oscilliate from year to year and information are so asymmetric that risk in the admission process is great. The average Chinese student spend an enormous time in the application process. I decide to enroll to minimize risk and to save time, but I agree it's really a dillema. Thanks for your advice.

Back