• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

bivariate normal integral

I submit to the the collective wisdom of quantnet this humble request -- I am trying to find a closed form solution (if possible) for the following integral:

( \frac{1}{2 \pi \sqrt{1-\rho^2}} \int_\epsilon^\infty {\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} {e^{\frac{-(x^2 + y^2 -2 \rho x y)}{2 (1-\rho^2)}} dx dy ) where (\rho) is a non-zero correlation between the two normal random variables.

If I could be pointed towards a technique that can get the answer in terms of error functions or something similar, I would be much obliged. I understand that lookup tables exist for this sort of thing, but I am trying to avoid that and brute force methods like simpson's rule. Is it possible to transform this somehow into a conic section?

In my naivete, I entered this into mathematica and for lack of a better word, it vomited a nonsense answer after three hours of churning.

write the pdf as (const_1 \exp\{-const_2 \cdot \textbf{x}^{\tau }\Sigma^{-1} \textbf{x}\}) where (\textbf{x}=(x,y)). There's 1-1 link between the covariance matrix and the ellipsoid it spans. Now stretch-contract and rotate that ellipsoid (hint eigenvalue decomposition), it will split into two separate integrals, then you can write it with error functions.

Also, you are missing a couple of things in your pdf.

write the pdf as (const_1 \exp\{-const_2 \cdot \textbf{x}^{\tau }\Sigma^{-1} \textbf{x}\}) where (\textbf{x}=(x,y)). There's 1-1 link between the covariance matrix and the ellipsoid it spans. Now stretch-contract and rotate that ellipsoid (hint eigenvalue decomposition), it will split into two separate integrals, then you can write it with error functions.

Thanks a lot, I'm going to give that a shot. In my googling, I came across integrals for the above over an offset ellipse which used eigenvalue decomposition, but I assumed that they were dealing with horizontal sections, rather than the vertical section I need.

Also, you are missing a couple of things in your pdf.

Do you mean the Mu and Sigma terms? The standard bivariate normal is good enough for my purposes.

Back