• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Blackrock Portfolio Analytics Group (PAG): Any insights?

Hi. Does anybody have a prior experience or any insights regarding the work at Portfolio Analytics group in Blackrock solutions? I had a talk with few associates who described the work as some model review, analytical reporting and stress testing in fixed income or equity markets. I would appreciate it if somebody could provide any additional info about how exciting/challenging or mundane the work is.

PS. PAG has a sub-group called automated implementations which is more towards technology and involves scripting etc. I am not ascribing to the Implementations group here.

Hi shadefaliam,

I had a friend who worked in that group after graduating from an MFE program a few years back. He didn't really enjoy the work at all, and described it as much less finance and investments, much more compliance / regulatory reporting; he's a smart guy, now at a well know fund. If I'm not mistaken, PAG from Blackrock is actually a paid service that Blackrock provides to other clients (tell me if I'm wrong, in that case we are speaking about different things); so more or less you are a glorified consultant. Cheers.

Hi shadefaliam,

I had a friend who worked in that group after graduating from an MFE program a few years back. He didn't really enjoy the work at all, and described it as much less finance and investments, much more compliance / regulatory reporting; he's a smart guy, now at a well know fund. If I'm not mistaken, PAG from Blackrock is actually a paid service that Blackrock provides to other clients (tell me if I'm wrong, in that case we are speaking about different things); so more or less you are a glorified consultant. Cheers.
Thank You @C.Y. That really helped.

How about the Financial Modeling Group at Blackrock? Is that more finance and investing-related?

How about the Financial Modeling Group at Blackrock? Is that more finance and investing-related?
I have heard good things about FMG . They are not involved in investment decisions, though they do a lot of quantitative modeling.

I previously interviewed with the group in SF. One additional point for here is they are a big shop in fixed income and they are working to incorporate more alternatives models into their system after the acquisition of the Seattle-based hedge fund (now BAA).

Back