• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Blackrock Solutions FMG vs Morgan Stanley Market Risk

hi

i have offers from Blackrock Solutions FMG and Morgan Stanley Market Risk Division and am looking for some inputs to help make a decision. would appreciate your opinion on:
1. future career moves within and outside each organization
2. expected bonus for each job

thanks!

hsiash

hi

i have offers from Blackrock Solutions FMG and Morgan Stanley Market Risk Division and am looking for some inputs to help make a decision. would appreciate your opinion on:
1. future career moves within and outside each organization
2. expected bonus for each job

thanks!

hsiash

I don't know about Blackrock. Which group gave you the offer in MS: portfolio risk anaysis or model review or research? and your title?

I would go with BlackRock.. Market Risk at MS is obviously a good (and steady) job, but ultimately it is very much a support role to trading and you will never see the kind of money they see on the trading floor. At BlackRock, obviously financial modeling is a support role, but at BlackRock I don't believe it is even possible to have a non support role at the entry level (AMG, PAG, RQA, FMG are all support) so it would be considered a normal course towards a high impact role in their portfolio management division. Or if you wanted to leave BlackRock your options would be more open because people understand that's how it works over at BlackRock. The only place to go from market risk at MS is to stay put or market risk at a hedge fund or you could cross your fingers and try to get into the front office after a couple years. It just seems like your life would be easier in terms of exit opps and salary/bonus at BlackRock - but note the hours will be much longer!

after speaking with employees at blackrock solutions, i got the feeling that it would be tough to move around within blackrock solutions. where do people from here usually move to? and what are the bonus figures like? any ideas?

after speaking with employees at blackrock solutions, i got the feeling that it would be tough to move around within blackrock solutions. where do people from here usually move to? and what are the bonus figures like? any ideas?
bonus wise, I don't think you should expect too much in Morgan Stanley in market risk ...at least the following one or two years. But the potential to move within firm is the main attraction.

... Wow this is an old group.

Is the original poster still around ? If so, send me a message. I wanted to ask a few things about Blackrock FMG.

... Wow this is an old group.

Is the original poster still around ? If so, send me a message. I wanted to ask a few things about Blackrock FMG.
Tsk for necro-ing!
Double tsk for not bothering to check out the profile and notice "Last Activity: 12-13-2009 11:55 AM "
<!-- / current activity -->

Tsk for necro-ing!
Double tsk for not bothering to check out the profile and notice "Last Activity: 12-13-2009 11:55 AM "
<!-- / current activity -->

haha. Figured he might just be a viewer now and not a poster.

Back