• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Bond duration problem

Hey guys,

I'm stuck - I thought I know how to calculate duration/price for any bond, but it seems I was wrong. I have troubles when I need to calculate price or the duration of the bond if there is time to maturity that is not consistent with coupons. E.g. like in the topic of the thread:

Settlement: 2010/01/01
Maturity: 2013/07/01
Coupon: 1%
YTM: 1%
Par: $100

And now - the price should be $100 I guess (I thought I know, but Excel seems to disagree and the function PRICE() returns 99.99876). I assume that when calculating duration, what I need to do is to assume that the last coupon is half the previous ones, am I right? And the time periods are t= [1, 2, 3, 3.5]. Such approach however, gives different results than the excel build-in function DURATION(). I'm stuck for a few days right now, can you help me anyhow? :)

I did not add it but I mean annual frequency of coupons. There is a problem - what about this last cash flow and periods.

Yes, it's correct of course, however the results are still inconsistent with the ones obtained with the function... :/ anything?

Here you go, there is a file attached as well:

1598283805276.png

Honestly, I have no idea what is wrong here....I just cannot spot any mistake :/

Attachments

• Duration problem.xlsx
    11.9 KB · Views: 20
I made a few corrections:
- You are using wrong formulas for clean price, accrued interest, and dirty price. There are built-in Excel formulas for clean price and accrued interest.
- DCF*t not discounted correctly.
- 2012 is leap year. You need to subtract one day from some of the time length calculations. It's just how it is with Act/365.
- You have duration with both dirty price and clean price. As far as I know, duration is used with dirty price.

Attachments

• Duration problem (1).xlsx
    12.1 KB · Views: 24
Man, you’re incredible!! Thank you so much...I haven’t done enough exercises like that, I thought differently about the accrued interest. Also the leap year was somehow confusing. Thank you!!!

Back