• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Boston MSMF vs Columbia MSOR vs Michigan MFE vs Rutgers MSMF

Boston MSMF vs Columbia MSOR vs Michigan MFE vs Rutgers MSMF

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi All,
First of all, I want to thank the QuantNet community for all their support and feedback. A lot of the information on this site is really helpful.

I want to post a poll.

Brief background of me:
- B.S.E. in Electrical Engineering in U.S. (minor in Math)
- Good grades on Math and Programming classes
- Some C++ programming at work (about 2 yrs now at a Tech Company)
- Applied to Columbia MFE but got redirected to Columbia MSOR
- Waiting for CMU 3rd round. Definitely going if get in, but highly doubt that.

I want to do Quantitative Researcher (whatever it's called nowadays) who supports the front office (mainly traders) at IB or Hedgefund in NYC.

Simple poll. If you were to have my background and career aspiration, which school would you go?
Please do not say "You should make your own informed decision", or "Are you going to make the decision based on what other people say?" because that's not the purpose of this poll. I am just curious and want to hear what other people think.

I am in a very similar situation like you are except that I hold BEng in Mech Eng.

I chose Columbia MSOR over UIUC and BU because aside from Columbia's name, with MSOR curriculum you can choose the courses nearly exactly like MAFN Columbia which is suitable for someone who wants to be a quant. By the way, if you don't aim to be a quant, you can tailor the courses for other options.

descendents

Hi..I believe you must have been one year into the MSOR program at Columbia. What is your opinion of the program now, especially in terms of internship and placement. I have been admitted to both Columbia MSOR and Michigan MSFE. I am more inclined towards MSOR but hear contradictory reviews about it. As regarding my background, I am a non CS major with no work experience. Also, I am a legal US Permanent resident with Indian citizenship. Can my PR status help me land a job in finance? More specifically, can you please inform me if almost all the students of MSOR are able to land a job at the end of program or not? Thank You.

If you compare rankings, Rutgers MSMF is placed higher.
If you compare full time placements Rutgers has better Industry connections and hence better employment stats.
If you compare the location, its always better to be in New Jersey than Ann Arbor.

What do you say?

If you compare rankings, Rutgers MSMF is placed higher.
If you compare full time placements Rutgers has better Industry connections and hence better employment stats.
If you compare the location, its always better to be in New Jersey than Ann Arbor.

What do you say?

1) I don't believe in Rankings. They tend to be very subjective
2) I don't know about this. If you know, please give more details.
3) This is probably true.

1) I don't believe in Rankings. They tend to be very subjective
2) I don't know about this. If you know, please give more details.
3) This is probably true.
For point 2, I would just say that I have been in touch with current students from both programs and its not hard to arrive at a conclusion.

okk guys..so are you implicitly agreeing on the fact compared to Rutgers MSMF and Michgan MFE, the MSOR progam at Columbia is a better one with respect to placements ?
Faisal I have no idea about Columbia MSOR mate. If you want some insider info, I suggest you google out current students from this program, find their FB accounts and shoot messages.

Also one would agree with the fact that Columbia has a bigger brand name than Rutgers and Michigan, though I'm not sure how much that would help in placements considering the current economic scenario.

yea haha. I responded to your post "Its surprising that Michigan MFE received more votes than Rutgers MSMF." but then decided to delete it. I was going to quote a Michigan alumni that said:

"Firms that recruit at Ross: All BBs (IBD NY; Chicago office only for one, I think), most elite boutiques (Rothschild, Moelis, Evercore, Centerview, Blackstone), shitload of MM firms and other boutiques (all over, not just midwest), DE Shaw, DRW, BlackRock, all reputable consulting firms (MBB included). I think Citadel has postings, as well."

But I'm not sure if Michigan MFE students have access to these opportunities because the student was talking about Ross (the business school). That's why I deleted it.

yea haha. I responded to your post "Its surprising that Michigan MFE received more votes than Rutgers MSMF." but then decided to delete it. I was going to quote a Michigan alumni that said:

"Firms that recruit at Ross: All BBs (IBD NY; Chicago office only for one, I think), most elite boutiques (Rothschild, Moelis, Evercore, Centerview, Blackstone), shitload of MM firms and other boutiques (all over, not just midwest), DE Shaw, DRW, BlackRock, all reputable consulting firms (MBB included). I think Citadel has postings, as well."

But I'm not sure if Michigan MFE students have access to these opportunities because the student was talking about Ross (the business school). That's why I deleted it.
:)
MFE students do have access to these opportunities, but the question is whether the firms are willing to hire them. From the past trends at Ross Business School, its evident that the hiring has been focused for positions within these firms which match the skill set acquired by the MBA's, thereby leaving a limited number of opportunities for MFE's.

I have spoken with seniors at Michigan. The problem at UMich is that they are not allowed to sit for placements at the Ross school of business. However, they are allowed to sit for placements at the school of engineering where opportunities are slightly less for us. so we have to try finding jobs in Chicago or NYC by ourselves.

It would be great if a new review of Columbia MSOR could also be provided. I have talked to few current students and almost all of them have replied that the current internship and job scenario is 'tricky', especially with respect to positions in the financial industry. However, on the other hand, a good majority of the graduated class of 2011 is doing well, including international students. Can a quantnet member please provide an extensive review of the current scenario in the MSOR program?

Back