• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Breaking into Quanta Developer role

Hi Guys,

Education and Experience
I have 8 years of Experience in .NET development using C# in various Banking development roles.
I have done BSc (Hons) in Physics and Masters of Computer Application

Current Challenge
IT is becoming increasingly competitive industry with very limited earning potential.
I need to move towards Quanta Side to earn little extra.

My Questions are
1. What do i need to do in terms of qualification to get into Quanta Developer roles
2. is CQF sufficient for this given that i already have a Bsc(H) and Masters degree.
3. What sort of Salary i may get to start with. Any idea about how much a 8 Years .net developer with Physics and Maths background experience may get would help me understand this option very well.

I desperately need advice on the questions above. Any amount of information would be highly appreciated.

Thanks for all the expert advice in advance.

Cheers

A couple years ago, you could get plenty of positions using .NET/C#/VSTO in front office building trading tools. I don't know what the current demand is. Talk to some recruiters to get a feel of the market.
Definitely knowing SQL is a plus (in some roles, it's a requirement).
Domain/product background is a huge plus. This is where CQF may be beneficial to pick up the lingo. My impression is that most folks got their CQF paid for by their employers so cost is not an issue. It's unclear the benefits of CQF as a sole tool to get in for folks with no work experience.

My impression is that most folks got their CQF paid for by their employers so cost is not an issue. It's unclear the benefits of CQF as a sole tool to get in for folks with no work experience.

I've been trying to figure out whether CQF would alone be useful to break in to quant role, but no luck so far.

Andy Thanks for the reply.

SQL is a part of my technology stack. Some of the other things are SQLServer, Oracle, ASP.NET, WPF, AVVM, SOA, C, C++, JavaScript, JQuery, BizTalk , SharePoint etc (Kind of all .NET Stack)

CQF is going to cost me 15K and i would consider it as expensive because i will be paying for it (not company)
Had a chat with a recruiter and been advised to do CQF as it will make me look as a serious applicant against a group of all people who just apply to give it a try. It will also increase my Maths and Finance knowledge many fold.

My Questions are

1) Will i be considered a fresh start in Quant Developer Roles. Can my .NET development experience play any role at all in Quanta Developer role.

2) What sort of salary can i get considering my situation as described above in my original post.
What i dont want to do is absorb a heavy drop in salary

Thanks for your help

Cheers.

Back