• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Brownian Motion using Gamma instead of normal distribution

Hello everybody,

Does someone know why some models use a Gamma instead of a normal distribution to simulate a brownian motion ? what is the aim behind that ?

Thanks

MonteCristo :: think about what you're saying, look up the definition of Brownian motion. Let's say you were able to construct another scaled symmetric random walk (the way Shreve does in Shreve II) and that you were able to prove that it's increments are independent...would it satisfy all the properties similar to Brownian motion (i.e. martingale, non-zero quadratic variation, etc.)?

What is your motivation for this question? That's probably a better place to start.

The only way I can make sense of your question is if you meant to let time be distributed by a gamma process. If that's what you meant, here's a white paper on the subject:

http://www.math.nyu.edu/research/carrp/papers/pdf/VGEFRpub.pdf

I assume you are looking for a model that yields access to excess kurtosis? Here Madan, Carr, and Chang (1998) argue that their VG process construct is superior to the BS models used to price options.

MonteCristo :: think about what you're saying, look up the definition of Brownian motion. Let's say you were able to construct another scaled symmetric random walk (the way Shreve does in Shreve II) and that you were able to prove that it's increments are independent...would it satisfy all the properties similar to Brownian motion (i.e. martingale, non-zero quadratic variation, etc.)?

What is your motivation for this question? That's probably a better place to start.

Hi, it about replacing normal random generator by the difference between two gammas so as we could have 1/2 times down, 1/2 up. Thank you very mush !

Back