• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

BS/MBA Accounting switch to Quant advice wanted

I graduated last year finishing a BS and MBA in Accounting (3.95/4.00 gpas). I have also taken and passed all four parts of the CPA and currently work for a Big Four accounting firm in the financial services industry.

I always had a love for math and computers, but did not explore those options during college. After working in the accounting field, I have come to realize that I would enjoy a more quantitative role. I am considering going back to school for a math/comp sci/or engineering program. Accounting is quite different from any of these fields but I feel that Financial Engineering would allow me to atleast leverage a little of my knowledge/experience.

The issue is that I had minimal math/programming exposure in college. I only have credit for Calculus I and intro to c++ for college credit classes I took while in high school. Obviously I need to develop a background in these two areas.

Has anyone been succesful in such a transition? Also, can someone recommend an approach to taking these background classes in the NYC area? I would be open to going back to school full-time. Thanks!

Are you a CPA? If not I would recommend waiting until you get the designation before moving on.

You will probably need to get a MFE or other masters (applied math, statistics, cs, etc), so the question is whether you can just take a few math/cs courses to meet prerequisites for admission or will you need to go back and get another bachelors.

I think you will find it very difficult to get into a top program by only taking a few courses. In which case you will need to pursue a second bachelors.

What you major in exactly depends on exactly what you want to do. In quant finance are you interested in more math or more programming? Are you 100% for quant finance or do you just want a more quantitative job? Would you consider a job in engineering? Computer programming?

In my mind the key to a second bachelors is transfer hour limits. Some universities will only allow you to transfer and count x number of hours from your previous degree to your second degree. Others may have no limit but only require you to take at least 30 hours at their university to be awarded a second degree. This impacts how long it will take you to get that second bachelors.

Some on the forum are much more familiar with NY than myself but I believe CUNY is considered a good university (at least some of them) and is low cost.

Hey thanks for the response. I am actually in the process of getting my work experience forms set up so that I can obtain the actual CPA license. Regardng quant finance, I am not 100% sure that is what I want to do. I am also considering an engineering field such as computer engineering or just computer science as well.

Through my research, I have found the Boston University LEAP program which allows someone already with a bachelors degree to take the undergrad engineering courses and then matriculate into the graduate engineering program. Although the idea sounds great, I am thinking that I might not be that competitve in graduate school considering most of the other people would have much more substantial engineering/math backgrounds.

I think I will also consider getting a second bachelor degree in either computer science or math as you suggested. Maybe I will try to get a second degree in math with a minor in computer science or vice versa.

Based on your answer I would tell you to go for either computer science or engineering because it allows you to do jobs in that fields but also doesn't prevent you from getting a job in finance.

I'm thinking that the most flexible thing for you to study would be computer engineering as you mentioned because it should contain a fair amount of programming/cs courses allowing you to pursue an engineering job or programming job. I would still recommend at least a minor in math because the extra math will be useful in graduate school if you decide to do it.

The LEAP program sounds good, but I know nothing about BU rankings or job placement. I think you can be as competitive as you want in grad school, look at the profiles on the LEAP website, BAs in music and education, I think you can compete.

I appreciate your thoughts. I think it might be best for me to get a second Bachelor's in Computer Engineering which would allow me to get that Math minor in. Then I could decide if I want to go for Quant Finance masters or pursue a technical computer path.

If I did the BU LEAP program, I would be getting a Master's degree. I think it would look a little strange if I got a Master's in comp eng and then another in quant finance, if I were to go that route? Does my logic make sense?

Anyone else from NY have any thoughts on NY area schools?

I live on the Queens/Nassau border so looking at schools anywhere on the island or in manhattan. I am trying not to move. I found SUNY Farmingdale offers a BS in Computer Engineering Technology that is ABET accredited so I have sent out an email to the transfer advisor. The other CUNY and SUNY schools have Math and Comp Sci programs but not Comp Engineering.

I am currently getting a second bachelors degree in computer scince with concentration in software engineering and database. I got my first degree in accouting and fiance and went to work and got my CPA.

In my program is distance so i can take all the classes online but since i am close to the univeristy i take some classes on my lunch break. I wanted to go into more of a trading direction and felt that with computer science degree it would help.

Also, question to anyone. Now that i have two degrees and about five years work experience and have put projects in computer schince on my resume is it ok for two pages?

my 2 cents : if you want to do a CS degree for fun, sure. If you love to do programming work, you don't need the degree. If you want to use the degree as a stepping stone, then you are likely be better off with a math degree.

hmm, what else? oh well, it sounds you already have a good job, etc., then in my opinion, I think you are better off exploring programming on the side, there are tons of projects here and there, side jobs to explore. You might find the work is interesting or uninteresting, in which case you can confirm you want to go with this path or can go back to the accounting path.

sajohnson, would you mind telling me which school you are getting the online degree from?

abcdefh, I appreciate your thoughts. You have brought up a concern that I have had - that I already have a good job in a stable field and leaving it to go back to school would be risky. I just don't want to think back in 10 years and say to myself that I should've went back to school to do what I love. it's a tough decision for me really.

Has anyone heard of the NetMath online program through the university of illinois? Would taking a class or two online be a good starting point for me instead of quiting my job and going back fulltime?

Hey. The degree is coming from Radford University. Which is located in Radford Va. It is not really an online degree it is just taking online due to that students are from different parts of southwest VA.

Back