• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE BU vs posibility of MA in Stats

BU vs chance at Columbia Stats

• BU

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Chance at Columbia Stats

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

diegosanaz

BU MSMF
Hello,

I'm panicking a little, so I would like to ask the QuantNet community for opinions.

I'm about to enter the BU MSMF program. Is a good solid second tire program. I have a lot of persona issues of why I would prefer to go to NY in January, but I won't talk much about them.

I saw that the MA in Stats program from Columbia can begin on January. First of all, do you think this is a good program for someone who whats to become a quant on asset management? Placement stats don't worry me that much scince eventually I would like to come back to my home country. Also, I would be happy with a Stats degree since stats are more used on the buy side than stoch calc.

Second, since I was rejected from the MAFN program, do I really stand a chance of admission? My GRE is only 162, and there is not much info on the tracker aside from some people who got redirected from the MAFN program.

The main problem is to sacrifice BU with a scolarship just for a shot at Columbia.

My 2 cents: If I were you, I'd also look at Columbia's OR and NYU Poly's MFE too. Also, there are few colleges that allow transfer after first semester. You could enroll at BU and then look at transferring probably to MA Stats (if it allows) and other programs?

Thanks for your advise aditya. I see the poll is 50-50 at the moment. I will join BU. I will decide if to apply to other programs or not depending on how I like it. What I like the most at BU (besides the course of study) is that they care a lot about placing their students. Somehow I feel this is a program going on the rise (maybe the best 2nd tire program). Lets see on Semptember what the QuantNet ranking has to say about it.

I don't think Baruch allows that but check and post it back.

Done, I read someone's post a while ago on Global Derivatives on which the person said he/she transferred to Baruch. But on the website, now, they say they dont allow transfers.

diegosanaz, sure man. I will let you know if I'm able to gather more information on transfers.

Back