• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++

Because folks asking questions like this are too lazy to learn Haskell ;P

Why is C++ so prevalent in finance and has not been replaced by such new languages as C# and Python?

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Last edited:
Just a simple and plain answer.
No programming language beats C/C++
==========================
watch out CUDA ! Vikings are coming !

Just a simple and plain answer.
No programming language beats C/C++
==========================
watch out CUDA ! Vikings are coming !

C is faster than everything but Fortran. C++ does everything that C# and Java can do but faster. It just takes a lot longer to write efficient code in C++ than C# or Java.

I spend about 50% of my time at work trying to re-factor code written by more experienced actuaries to try to make the code readable and fix it.

Last edited:
I spend about 50% of my time at work trying to re-factor code written by more experienced actuaries to try to make the code readable and fix it.
Is 'refactor' the same word (euphemism) for fixing a software system that management and developers weren't bothered to get right the first time around?

There are different levels of refactoring: one extreme is a complete redesign.

In some cases you save more time starting afresh instead of wasting thay 50% on sloppy, undocumemented code.

Of course, management will not understand :D

BTW do you like refactoring?

Last edited:
C is faster than everything but Fortran. C++ does everything that C# and Java can do but faster. It just takes a lot longer to write efficient code in C++ than C# or Java.

True.
What about COBOL?

C++ also has a lot of well-developed libraries that a person can use to develop their applications without having to write everything from scratch, like Boost (https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org2/google/gsoc2014/boostcpp). Or if you don't want to spend the money to buy Matlab, you can interface Octave directly to C/C++ code to do time-intensive operations. And if you want to further increase the speed of your calculations to high-performance computer levels of performance, NVIDIA CUDA supports C language routines.

That said, the best computer language to solve a problem usually depends on the problem. Octave is great for rapid testing of algorithms. C/C++ is great for speed once the algorithm is more stable. And I'm a newcomer to Python, but it seems very well suited to scraping data from web sites.

Last edited:
Back