• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Calculus or Calculus with Applications?

I am doing a bachelors in finance, and I am thinking of doing another major or just minoring in mathematics. If I were to ever decide to choose quantitative finance as a future career path, should I take calculus courses that are more applications based, or calculus that is more theory based? Which would look better to a school with a viable quant program?

I am leaning towards calculus that is more theory based, but I just want to be sure.

thanks!

I'm going to assume that the Applications course is the easier of the two, since that is how it is at most schools.

That means you should pick the regular one.

at my school, both classes were taught in same textbook. I will say don't go for the easier one if it doesn't make too much difference to you.

Back