• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Calculus- Request for Feedback

Matthew Graham

Quantneter
Hi, I was hoping that I could get a little feedback. Here's my situation. I have a hold status from Berkeley (rejected my UCLA). 770 GMAT, University of Rochester MBA.

Berkeley requested that I take Calc I, II, III, Linear Algebra, Discrete, and Differential Equations.
Calc I and II were a joke.
This semester I took Calc III, Linear Algebra, Discrete Math, and Differential Equations (and a Linux class for fun).
I had a difficult prof for Calc III and spent almost all my time on that class.
Discrete was a joke but I had no time for it and had an 80 average going into the final as a result. Anticipating a B-.
Differential Equations was fun, I had an 89 going into the final exam. The final was very difficult because I've spent essentially all of my exam prep time on Calculus III. As a result, I am anticipating a B- in this class also.
Calculus III I had a B-/B going into the final. I am anticipating either a B- or (egads) a C+ in this class.

In summary: Calc III B- going into final C+ or B- final grade
Discrete B- going into final B- final grade
Differential B+ going into final, B- final grade

Given that the some of the grades had to do with my focus on Calc III, and that I have only really had one class that had been difficult for me (and the prof was terrible)...I am wondering
a) if my chance at Berkeley is over
b) if they will make me retake courses
c) what my chances might be at other schools, and if it would be worth it to go to a lesser school
d) if my problem is basically that I need to try harder
e) to what extent, if any, I need to consider if a financial engineering degree is a good move on my part...maybe this isn't a good fit after all
f) if I'm just frustrated and shouldn't worry about it!
g) if it is typical to take dif equations at same time as calc III and if I was maybe just overscheduled
h) what typical grades are in these courses for people looking at 1) top programs and 2) mid-tier programs

I understand that this is a long list. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks very much in advance.

Matthew

c is easy: "lesser" is not good. There is consensus on that around here. Your singular focus on Berkeley may need some broadening, but dipping into (dun dun!) second tier schools will not gain you much.

Otherwise, what would you do if you you were the admissions committee? "Here's a guy with 3 B-'s on the intermediate stuff. Hmmm."

Also, in the MFE you will be working like a dog. I can tell you firsthand that full-time students are often spending 60-90 hours per week regularly on schoolwork (there is an article posted around here about Princeton students that says the same thing). How long were you spending on your classes?

Not sure what's in Calc III, but DE's usually follows calc and is not concurrent.

Why are you pursuing the degree? Do you like to do this?

more specifically

here's my point. I spent essentially all my time on one class, and I struggled with it. The instructor was terrible, and that was a major factor. The other classes came easily to me. My grades were midrange due spending all my time on Calc III. I'm not concerned about my work ethic, and the classes don't reflect on my aptitude EXCEPT possibly Calculus III.

It's not a work ethic issue, although it is true I much prefer working in groups rather than just cranking out problems on my own hour after hour. I'm a social person.

Part of the issue may be that I need to improve my memorization skills. I love puzzling things out but I don't enjoy learning by rote and also need to be better at memorization.

Do I retake these classes? Do I accept the somewhat low grades, take Berkeley's preprogram classes, and try to shine there? Or have I reached my level of incompetence? These are the questions I am asking myself.

Feedback welcome! Thanks.

Matthew, since you already have an MBA what advantage do you see in getting an MFE at this point?

As far as your grades they should be better in those classes as most of them are fairly straightforward. It sounds like you do have some difficulty doing homework.

The problem is those classes are probably quite a bit easier than learning Measure Theory or Stochastic Calculus and you need a solid base in that material.

You surely have the aptitude based on your GMAT but I wonder if the desire to do the work is there at this point.

here's my point. I spent essentially all my time on one class, and I struggled with it. The instructor was terrible, and that was a major factor. The other classes came easily to me. My grades were midrange due spending all my time on Calc III. I'm not concerned about my work ethic, and the classes don't reflect on my aptitude EXCEPT possibly Calculus III.

Sh***y and incompetent professors are all over the place (including, or particularly, quant programs): sometimes there's no circumventing the buggers. But what you should have done is cut your losses, and withdraw from calc III. Or if that wasn't an option, not spend a disproportionate amount of time on it and put more effort into getting good grades on what you consider were easy courses.

You can sell the idea of one course being badly taught and thus affecting your grade. You will not be able to sell the excuse that one poorly-taught course dragged down all your grades: it shows you poor at allocating your time and effort.

Allocation of Time

I'm not sure I agree with that. It made more sense to me to try for at least a B in every class. Any C grade means that I would have had to wait an extra year to begin my graduate studies. Withdrawing from the course would have meant the same thing. In this case, all B's was preferable to a C and two A's, and withdrawing was not an option.

I'm not sure I agree with that. It made more sense to me to try for at least a B in every class. Any C grade means that I would have had to wait an extra year to begin my graduate studies. Withdrawing from the course would have meant the same thing. In this case, all B's was preferable to a C and two A's, and withdrawing was not an option.

Well, hmmm, this is water under the bridge. No use crying over spilt milk and all that. If you don't get into a first-tier school, don't bother applying to second-tier ones (as Doug Reich has already suggested): it's a waste of time and money. The instructors will be as sh***y (if not worse) than your calc III instructor, and often will have been pulled off the street ("industry professionals"). Don't know what else can be said at this juncture ....

Postscript: What was in calc III anyway? Just the vector stuff -- curl, div, grad, line, surface, and volume integrls, Gauss' theorem, Green's theorem, and culminating in some version of Stokes' theorem? That would be par for the course. And what book did you use?

a) if my chance at Berkeley is over
They will milk you till you dry by asking you to take pre-program courses, CFA L1, etc. Some of these requirements, you take at UCB or elsewhere. After passing the courses, there is no guarantee that they will admit you.
It's a business program with 60 seats to fill so it's in their interest to have plenty of eager and willing people to still hanging around in their HOLD or WAIT list.
b) if they will make me retake courses
See above
c) what my chances might be at other schools, and if it would be worth it to go to a lesser school
It's a game of expectation. What do you expect out of your pursuit of MFE? Learning something you like? Getting a job? How much can you afford?
If getting a job is your first priority, then you would have to take a look at how well these programs take care of their graduates. Do you know anything about their placement stats at all?
d) if my problem is basically that I need to try harder
You always have to try harder because there always exists someone who works harder than you.
e) to what extent, if any, I need to consider if a financial engineering degree is a good move on my part...maybe this isn't a good fit after all
Uhm, like when a brand new program like UCLA turned you down?
Honestly, of the hundred or so programs in the US, there exists some program that will admit you. See c)
f) if I'm just frustrated and shouldn't worry about it!
You should be frustrated of yourself. You already wasted some of your life you can't get back.
g) if it is typical to take dif equations at same time as calc III and if I was maybe just overscheduled
I know some did it very well
h) what typical grades are in these courses for people looking at 1) top programs and 2) mid-tier programs
Of top tier applicants, most will get straight A for the Calculus sequence. They may have one or two B here and there for ALL of their math courses but that's about as low as it gets.

Assuming you get into UCB somehow, what would you still feel OK if you don't get a job you like out of it or worse, no job at all? I think you should consider all possible scenarios.

Back