• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Calyon Financial

Does anyone know anything about Calyon Financial? I've looked at their website, so I know the basics, but I'm wondering more about prestige, size, influence, culture, etc?

Has anyone worked there, or known anyone that has? If not, have you heard anything about the company? I'm being very general, and that's my intent. If you've got information about this place, I want it!

Thanks everyone!

Calyon
Type Subsidiary
Founded May 1, 2004
Headquarters Paris, France
Key people Jean Laurent (Chairman)
Edouard Esparbès (CEO)
Industry Finance and Insurance
Products Financial Services
Employees 12,000
Parent Crédit Agricole
Slogan Expanding was the least we could do to help you reach the top
Website www.calyon.com

Calyon is Crédit Agricole's corporate and investment banking entity. Calyon was created in May 2004 by the transfer of Crédit Lyonnais' Corporate and Investment Banking division to Crédit Agricole Indosuez.
With a staff of 12,000 employees in more than 55 countries, Calyon is active in a broad range of capital markets, investment banking and financing activities.
Its activities are grouped into two major divisions - the Capital Markets & Investment Banking Division and the Financing Division.

Calyon Financial is a subsidiary of Calyon specializing in institutional futures and options brokerage, and is also a member of the Crédit Agricole Group.
They provide a lot of trading systems to their customers.
Headquarters Chicago, Illinois
Industry Finance
Products Financial Services
Parent Calyon
Website www.calyonfinancial.com

Info is hard to come by. Google and Wikipedia are what I use. You probably already have these basic info. If you have access to Reuters or Bloomberg, i'm sure you can dig more. Financial statements, capital, deal lists, etc.

Let's us know if/how you get some more info. I'd like to learn how one should research about the firm/field we want to enter.

Used to be Credit Agricole? Hmm being very general, work at private equity :)? They're very good at project loans as far as I can tell from my experience with them

Christian said:
Does anyone know anything about Calyon Financial? I've looked at their website, so I know the basics, but I'm wondering more about prestige, size, influence, culture, etc?

Has anyone worked there, or known anyone that has? If not, have you heard anything about the company? I'm being very general, and that's my intent. If you've got information about this place, I want it!

Thanks everyone!

Well i interned with equity research at Credit Agricole Cheuvreux in Zurich, a subsidiary of Credit Agricole the bank... cheuvreux has almost no operations in the US and in my experience has nothing to do with Calyon, so my experiences might be irrelevant in this context..

but still if i have to describe my group in zurich in 1 word it has to be :- amazing...

part of it may have to do with the fact that it was a very small group in zurich :-- 15 people in all... even though i was just an intern, i was given good projects to work on and they treated me just as another member of the team (it may not be much, but i represented my firm alone at 2 analyst meetings, and at a lunch discussion with the ceo of a firm)...

The environmet was preety much relaxed -- the whole group used to have an ice cream round table almost every afternoon, soccer matches were frequently discussed and debated on and b'day songs were heard --- and your collegues were really smart people... most of the people in my group represented above 10 years of experience in the industry... most importantly they helped me understand and learn the operations -- when i first went to zurich i did not know what p/e ratio or ebit was and my boss who did his mba from berkeley taught me all that...

regarding size n reputation i am aware that they are very well known in europe, specially the equity and asset managements branches... I for eg knew a friend had been working for man investments for 10 years, and she always used to tell me that i work for the best brokerage firm in europe :)

having said all this I am sure calyon financial would be very different :)

Thank you, everyone, for your informative replies.

pardasani - I'm glad to hear you had such a great experience. Sounds like a great place to work. As I'm looking for a summer internship, if the Calyon today is anything like the Credit Agricole of Zurich, it would be a great experience to work in that environment (as long as I'm given work to do!).

Thanks again everyone, and if anyone has any more experiences like pardasani's I'd appreciate it.

Back