Cambridge Econ vs. UCL CSML vs. LSE Stats (masters)

Dear all,

I am currently completing my UK undergrad and have been admitted to a number of masters places. I have now narrowed my choice down to three of them:

M.Phil. Economics at Cambridge
M.Sc. Computational Statistics & Machine Learning at UCL
M.Sc. Statistics at LSE

My aim is to get into a top PhD programme in statistics in the states.

All programmes have their respective advantages and disadvantages:

Cambridge has some of the best Metricians in the world. I can take half of my degree in Econometrics, a quarter in finance (asset pricing, etc.) and would only have to do the two compulsory micro and macro courses as 'pure' econ. This would also give me more breadth and a more well-rounded education if I do pursue a statistics phd. I also much more prefer the Cambridge environment to London.

UCL is much more aligned with the stuff I want to do at PhD level, and would give me a very good grounding in statistics and machine learning. On top of this it would keep the options open for PhDs in the UK if it does not work out with the states, or if I later decide I would like to stay in the UK. (If I go to Cambridge I would probably have to do another masters to get into a statistics phd in the UK).

LSE is pure statistics and has some very interesting modules, but the statistics department isn't as well regarded as the other two.

Any advice?

EDIT: for those who have seen the Warwick vs. LSE thread, I have definitely decided for LSE over Warwick. However, with these two new offers, I have my doubt about LSE too.

Cambridge is in a league of its own. The M.Phil. must be a two-year program -- a year for classes and a year for thesis.

Cambridge is in a league of its own. The M.Phil. must be a two-year program -- a year for classes and a year for thesis.
True, although how favourable do american institutions look at Economics vs Engineering / Statistics?

The degree is definitely not a two year programme. You sit your exams in May and start writing the thesis after that (you are expected to hand in a proposal, etc. before exam season). This is standard in the UK. The only two year Econ masters I know of is the MPhil Economics in Oxford.

The degree is definitely not a two year programme. You sit your exams in May and start writing the thesis after that (you are expected to hand in a proposal, etc. before exam season). This is standard in the UK. The only two year Econ masters I know of is the MPhil Economics in Oxford.

Didn't know that. Thought that an MSc takes one year (which includes a hurriedly written "thesis" written after the exams are over) and that an MPhil takes two years. If the Cambridge program is one year, then my usual criticism of British master's programs holds: too much too fast, and too superficially.

If the Cambridge program is one year, then my usual criticism of British master's programs holds: too much too fast, and too superficially.
I definitely agree with that. However, that is how the system works in the UK. The alternative would be to get a masters degree in Europe (I cannot afford a masters degree in America). While there are certainly a few good institutions, most cannot compete with the likes of Oxbridge, UCL/LSE, etc. The main reason I wish to pursue a one year masters in the UK is not as a terminal degree, but to help me in obtaining a good PhD place. For that one year masters are perfect. Moreover, if you look at the curricula of the the Cambridge and UCL programmes, you do actually learn a lot in that one year. I agree with you in principle though, that I wish masters in the UK would be two year programmes. If this were the case, however, they would need to introduce a lot more financial aid packages than currently available.

(EDIT: In the UK, in most cases you would not pursue a standalone masters anyway, unless you want to switch disciplines or get one more year to decide what to do. Most graduate schemes hire straight out of undergraduate and a masters doesn't give you a huge advantage. Most of my classmates that pursue a masters in the UK do so as a stepping stone towards a PhD.)

Back