• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Warwick Math Finance vs. UCL Comp Finance

Hi everyone,
I am graduating from Computer Science at KCL with First class, and I have offers from UCL computational finance and Warwick mathematical finance, my career goal is to be quant trader/researcher/developer in this order, but I am also seriously considering doing PhD in mathematical finance at Imperial/Oxford (they have this random systems research group that focus on ML applications to fin math). Could you please recommend me which offer I should choose to have better chances of becoming quant or getting accepted to PhD programme?
I personally think the Warwick would be a best option bc of their strong math/statistics department which this course is a part of. UCL seems not mathsy enough, and I have already done CS so computational finance doesn't seem too attractive. I see lot more ppl doing PhD at Oxford/Imperial that graduated from Warwick math/stats dept. Also Warwick is often regarded as next to Cambridge at math lvl, and after doing CS BSc the math is what I need rather then more ML and DS. I don't care about london vs. campus as in my opinion it doesn't affect internships at all, I also hate London after doing my BSc here.

TL;DR which course is the best for quant/phd?

It sounds like u already made up ur mind given u just stated 5 reasons why u prefer one over the other

Last edited:
Yes, I do have a preferred course, but it's based on my opinion which could be wrong. I would appreciate anyone's input to confirm my thinking or give a useful insight why I might be wrong.

Generally I believe this ranking is useless and not accurate in most cases. Ex. Oxford not even in top 25 for 2023. But it was a source for the above, and what I have seen online mostly aligns with that the ucl and warwick salaries are very similar with warwick being just a bit higher.

Back