• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Career in Asia after MFE- non Asian student

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to find a job in one of Asia's finance hubs (I'm thinking mainly of HK and Singapore, but open to more options) after an MFE degree in the US for a non-Asian citizen?

I know many Asian students go back to their home countries after getting an MFE degree in the US.
But what about non-Asian students? Is it possible to work there right after graduation without speaking any Asian language?

I'm a European student, and I have been admitted to a few MFEs in the US (Columbia, Berkeley and Chicago). I also have an offer for LSE's Finance and Economics Master.
I'm leaning towards Columbia MSFE right now. Do you think the Columbia MSFE brand name carries enough weight in HK/SG in order to allow to me get a job there? Would LSE be a better option given that those countries are ex-British colonies?

I know the finance scene in Asia is less quanty than in London or New York, but I'm open to less quantitative jobs.

Last edited:
Personally, I think that Columbia or Berkeley would be perfect choices. Asians love seeing Ivy league pedigree. However, Singaporeans in general are very savvy when it comes to academic institutions so whatever you choose, it shouldn't really matter too much. Columbia being Ivy league, and Berkeley being in the Top 5 of the US news and Times rankings is definitely a plus. After graduating from secondary, it is true that many Singaporeans tend to go to schools in the UK simply because the standard curriculum of taking O levels gears them towards that direction, and local schools don't offer AP courses.

Having said that however, you are definitely at a disadvantage at getting something in HK or SG if you can't speak a second language because you will be competing against bilingual students. Also, nowadays it is VERY DIFFICULT for foreigners to land entry-level positions in Singapore because the government has begun to impose very strict restrictions on who can get a visa. The large influx of foreigners has been a cause for political instability in the city-state.

It's strict to the point that I know people who've been working there for more than 10 years who had to go back to their home country because they couldn't get their work visa renewed...

(sources: I have friends who work at recruiting firms in Singapore. Also, the in-demand language at the moment appears to be Japanese, btw. You don't have to know Mandarin to work in Singapore, but most likely you will in HK.)

P.S. the local pay and expat pay differs a lot btw. If you're looking to enjoy the good-life in Singapore, then your best bet is to work for a US-based company and then have yourself transferred over to the Singapore branch or something. I've met young professionals in their early 20s that were able to pull that off - one company in particular that lets you do rotations in Singapore is a Boston-based company called Wellington Management.

Last edited:
Personally, I think that Columbia or Berkeley would be perfect choices. Asians love seeing Ivy league pedigree. However, Singaporeans in general are very savvy when it comes to academic institutions so whatever you choose, it shouldn't really matter too much. Columbia being Ivy league, and Berkeley being in the Top 5 of the US news and Times rankings is definitely a plus. After graduating from secondary, it is true that many Singaporeans tend to go to schools in the UK simply because the standard curriculum of taking O levels gears them towards that direction, and local schools don't offer AP courses.

Having said that however, you are definitely at a disadvantage at getting something in HK or SG if you can't speak a second language because you will be competing against bilingual students. Also, nowadays it is VERY DIFFICULT for foreigners to land entry-level positions in Singapore because the government has begun to impose very strict restrictions on who can get a visa. The large influx of foreigners has been a cause for political instability in the city-state.

It's strict to the point that I know people who've been working there for more than 10 years who had to go back to their home country because they couldn't get their work visa renewed...

(sources: I have friends who work at recruiting firms in Singapore. Also, the in-demand language at the moment appears to be Japanese, btw. You don't have to know Mandarin to work in Singapore, but most likely you will in HK.)

P.S. the local pay and expat pay differs a lot btw. If you're looking to enjoy the good-life in Singapore, then your best bet is to work for a US-based company and then have yourself transferred over to the Singapore branch or something. I've met young professionals in their early 20s that were able to pull that off - one company in particular that lets you do rotations in Singapore is a Boston-based company called Wellington Management.

Thank you for your input, very informative!
I had heard that the Singaporean government intended to cut the number of foreign workers and and it has become harder to get working visas due to this protectionist shift. However I thought this would only be an issue for lower skilled workers.
Being transfered to Singapore by US-based firm is probably my best option to work there for some time as you mentioned.

I have started learning Chinese, but it's by far the most challenging language I know, and I don't think I will ever be able to acquire sufficient proficiency sadly.

Columbia being Ivy league, and Berkeley being in the Top 5 of the US news and Times rankings is definitely a plus.

Actually Columbia undergrad is ranked 4 and UC Berkeley undergrad ranked 2X (US News). And Times World Rankings Berkeley is 8th.

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to find a job in one of Asia's finance hubs (I'm thinking mainly of HK and Singapore, but open to more options) after an MFE degree in the US for a non-Asian citizen?

Based in Singapore, originally from Europe, my advice - come here if you agree to be here for some time and after that move somewhere else. Employment risk is very high, banks cutting jobs: read Barclays, Standard Chartered, etc. news. Salaries for qualified foreigners usually very good and usually in European/US companies.

I'm leaning towards Columbia MSFE right now. Do you think the Columbia MSFE brand name carries enough weight in HK/SG in order to allow to me get a job there? Would LSE be a better option given that those countries are ex-British colonies?

degree usually doesn't matter here.

I know the finance scene in Asia is less quanty than in London or New York, but I'm open to less quantitative jobs.

Not so many quant jobs here.

Last edited:
Having said that however, you are definitely at a disadvantage at getting something in HK or SG if you can't speak a second language.
I see advantage with good English only.

because you will be competing against bilingual students

only for specific jobs

Also, nowadays it is VERY DIFFICULT for foreigners to land entry-level positions in Singapore because the government has begun to impose very strict restrictions on who can get a visa.

requirements are very simple: advertise job during 14 days in local job bank and if you can't find candidate, you may hire foreigners. Investment banks here usually spend months to hire someone good, they do not hurry up. also, as far as I know, the rule is not in force yet.

The large influx of foreigners has been a cause for political instability in the city-state.

on the other side western companies may move with foreigners.

I saw many foreigners work at the HK ang SG branches :)

yeap, in SG many people from different asian countries work for different companies. westerners usually work for western companies, however you may find exceptions everywhere.

Back