• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Career opportunities for tier 2 mfe program grads

Hello,

I have been admitted to the **** program...but I'm starting to doubt if I should still go....hopeful I can get some advice from you guys.

I have been working as a software engineer and wanted to do something different. Initially i wanted to apply for MFE because I want to switch to fields like S&T or research. However, looking at jobs that **** MFE grads got (from linkedin), they're mostly heavy software job with light quant. I like coding but I don't want to get the same type of job after MFE.

The jobs that UCB/CMU grads seem much more interesting...but I got rejected by UBC and didn't apply to CMU.

Based on my software background, I feel that I will probably end up in a software job after MFE. In that case, I will probably withdraw from the program.

What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks!

Based on my software background, I feel that I will probably end up in a software job after MFE. In that case, I will probably withdraw from the program.

What are your thoughts on that?

To paraphrase the words of a poster on this forum some years back, it will be a pig of a software job with some quant lipstick applied.

*sigh* wish I had done more research earlier

I know you are probably joking but don't give up so easily. Target the firms and positions you want and bust your ass getting to them. You're at UCLA Anderson. Lot's of recruiting goes on their in the MBA program that will tend to include more front office-y positions. Go to those sessions and just get your name out to the firms.

I know you are probably joking but don't give up so easily. Target the firms and positions you want and bust your ass getting to them. You're at UCLA Anderson. Lot's of recruiting goes on their in the MBA program that will tend to include more front office-y positions. Go to those sessions and just get your name out to the firms.
Actually I'm kind of serious...although I just got this idea since I only did my research recently. The MFE Career office already made it pretty clear that we should not expect to get the front office-y positions recruiting from the MBA program.

Also I'm not an American citizen, the impression I got is that it'll be hard to find a company that's willing to sponsor my work visa...except for big banks. But only 3/50 people got hired by big banks in the 2010 class...

It just seems like a lot of risk...especially I already have a stable job with decent pay. I may end up doing same same with less pay after MFE.

can't decide :s

Sorry, I thought you had said you were already attending UCLA. I didn't realize you were debating acceptance. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Surely the decision is pretty hard..i think all ppl who got admits to mfe this year r going through similar emotions..
Personally I feel applying to CMU will be gud..

i would recommend not going. I think you will be wasting just too much money and taking too much risk for the little salary increase you might get. And it would be even worse if you end up getting a coding job after doing all this.

Look, at this point, lone individuals are more or less screwed. If your school will literally place you into a job, that's one thing. But if they say "here's your degree, goodbye", then you're literally stuck with internet and cold calling. Either you have a name brand degree, or nobody wants to train you.

Well, I would say, if you are going to pay for it from your own packet, and you already have a job. Do not go unless you really like it. I work as a software engineer, and I pay for some Math classes, just because I like it. If it's not a top tier university, I don't think it's worth it. IT would be much better to work harder on your position and get promoted.

Is there really a big difference in Tier 1/Tier 2 MFE schools with respect to job placement? Where can I obtain a summary of 2011 job placements by school? Has somebody on QN done this legwork?

Pocari, you mentioned "looking at jobs that UCLA MFE grads got (from linkedin)". Can you explain how to use LinkedIn to replicate this research, please?

yes, there is a difference, and no, the info isn't available. certain schools don't want that info released, lest people figure out that that the emperor has no clothes.

pocari, good for you for thinking about this ahead of time. if others shared your common sense, lesser programs would be forced to improve or close.

Mfegrad, may I ask you if you have completed an MFE program? Tier 1/2?

Pocari, you mentioned "looking at jobs that UCLA MFE grads got (from linkedin)". Can you explain how to use LinkedIn to replicate this research, please?
I looked for students on the UCLA MFE page http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x35509.xml and google their names. I know..it's stalky... :p

I also spoke with someone from the program. The person said most jobs are "heavy programming and light quant" type job.

In terms of the quality of program itself, I've heard nothing but great things. People say the quality of the professors is much better than UCB's.

Surely the decision is pretty hard..i think all ppl who got admits to mfe this year r going through similar emotions..
Personally I feel applying to CMU will be gud..
Is there a reason why u mention "this year" in particular? I feel that my chances with CMU aren't that great since I got rejected by UCB.

Look, at this point, lone individuals are more or less screwed. If your school will literally place you into a job, that's one thing. But if they say "here's your degree, goodbye", then you're literally stuck with internet and cold calling. Either you have a name brand degree, or nobody wants to train you.
UCLA seems to have pretty good career service. However, if I want to get a job outside LA/Cali, I'm pretty much on my own.

i would recommend not going. I think you will be wasting just too much money and taking too much risk for the little salary increase you might get. And it would be even worse if you end up getting a coding job after doing all this.
Yeah, looking at glassdoor.com, seems like new grad FE get paid the same as senior software developers (~90-100k).

However, I do not know how more more FEs with 5yrs experience are supposed to make.

Back