• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

career switch - Mechical Engineer To quantitative analyst(Singapore)

Hi ,

I am 31 year old. I am a bachelor degree in mechanical engineering from Iowa state University(Graduated with distinction). I have been working in engineering field for 6 years in singapore.
My current basic pay is S$3.5k/month or S$42k/annual.

I am thinking of switching into financial field and work as a quantitative analyst.

I do trade stock myself and consider myself as a value investor. I have been trading stock for 2 years, so far my stock portfolio return is about 10% to 15% annually.

Will my stock trading experience help me in switching career from engineering to financial field?

What salary range should I request in Singapore when applying to work as quantitative analyst?

I believe your stock trading experience is not really relevant when applying for quantitative jobs. Have you developped any models ? Or some sort of methdology ?

Uhmm.. I think you have to at least do an MFE. I have a masters in Mech Engr and about to get a PhD in Computational analysis and modeling, and I have 3 yrs stock trading experience; also I am very proficient in c++ and Matlab, but I know I need at least an MFin or MFE to make an above average to a quant position. You should at least do a CFA.

Back