• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Cass VS NYU Tandon

Which program I choose select.

• Cass - MSc in Financial Mathematics

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • NYU Tandon - MS in Financial Engineering

Votes: 19 82.6%

• Total voters
Hi everyone,

I have been offered from both Cass business school MSc in Financial Mathematics and NYU Tandon (previously name was NYU Poly) - MS in Financial Engineering. I would like to have some information and advice from this community. Which program is better in terms of reputation, academic , etc?

The followings are my additional information.
I would probably be received the scholarship from my employer which I have contingent to come back and work for my employer after graduation.

I have already paid the deposit for Cass since January which was a great amount of money. Is the program at NYU Tandon worth to let my deposit be forfeited?

Any comments would be appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.

Hi everyone,

I have been offered from both Cass business school MSc in Financial Mathematics and NYU Tandon (previously name was NYU Poly) - MS in Financial Engineering. I would like to have some information and advice from this community. Which program is better in terms of reputation, academic , etc?

The followings are my additional information.
I would probably be received the scholarship from my employer which I have contingent to come back and work for my employer after graduation.

I have already paid the deposit for Cass since January which was a great amount of money. Is the program at NYU Tandon worth to let my deposit be forfeited?

Any comments would be appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.
Here's a Quora response that might help you out:

Why is financial engineering at NYU Poly not very 'looked up to'? - Quora

I just learned that Peter Carr is the new director for the MFE program at Tandon. Should really increase the reputation of the program

I just learned that Peter Carr is the new director for the MFE program at Tandon. Should really increase the reputation of the program
could you provide a link?

The following link is from NYU Courant which people think is orders of magnitude better:

Peter Carr Homepage

I don't think its official yet, hence no link. He is executive chair at Courant but will be director at Tandon.
come back and post the link if/when this becomes a reality.

I will post some announcement if/when this becomes official.
In the meantime, I suggest @nick_nicholas to decide on whichever program based on its own merits. Research on which program has courses that better match your career objectives. Research which program has a better career services and supporting network that leads you there.
I believe programs like Tandon will take a few years to improve even with a new director. Changes take time and perception takes even longer.

Hey, how did you hear about this information?

I cannot believe that.

Peter Carr is a puffed up academic and relies on his colleagues for the Math!

Being said that, the best programs are the ones with a good student/faculty ratio. You are not going to gain much being in a hordes of 100+ Asian students who barely speak the language, no class cohesion and I would doubt the very intent of the programs that has more than 20+ students.

Peter Carr is a puffed up academic and relies on his colleagues for the Math!

Being said that, the best programs are the ones with a good student/faculty ratio. You are not going to gain much being in a hordes of 100+ Asian students who barely speak the language, no class cohesion and I would doubt the very intent of the programs that has more than 20+ students.

What MFE program that you know of has less than 20 students?

Sussex FRIA - Taught by Carol Alexander. Class size 8-10 but selective.
Compared to Imperial/LSE you get a lot of face time with teachers.

Sorry, I have never heard about the university - Sussex. I just searched the program. Do you really think that's a typical MFE, Math Finance, or Quantitative Finance program?

Look at the curriculum:
Image 5-4-16 at 22.51.jpg

This is more like a general Finance and Investment program.

I would doubt the very intent of the programs that has more than 20+ students.
This statement almost excludes 99% MFE programs in the world.

That's definitely on the extreme end. The smallest program I know of in the US is Princeton (30 students per year) and there's a strong relationship between the faculty and students there.

CMU has 40 per year/campus (NY + Pittsburgh). I have never had an issue with access to professors / TAs at CMU, even in the NY campus. I know people who are close to professors and those who are not. Many of the faculty go out of their way to accommodate students but are disappointed because no one shows up to office hours or contacts them outside of class.

As you mentioned, culture may be an issue though. Asian cultures especially emphasize obedience and submission to authority and students who have never been educated outside Asia may not be as interested in getting connected with the faculty. I've seen this both in undergrad and grad school.

Mensa-
It's a semi quant program. If anyone can solve the attached course samples then they shouldn't be even doing a MFE as you already have enough grips !

Mhy-
The guy who teaches one of the modules was an ex-faculty for Princeton MFE & taught the same course up there.

The point I'm raising you shouldn't be judging a program by the content only rather the exit ops available and networking abilities. Most MFE Programs (excluding the top brands) are a massive rip off and a good ole scam targeted at Asian students. There are smarter ways to burn $40K and be jobless.

Attachments

• 763N1_Coursework1.pdf
    81.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 763N1_Coursework2.pdf
    101.9 KB · Views: 31
Back