• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CFA or Business Certificate in Finance

Hi All,

I'm applying for the financial engineering for 2011 Fall and spring term. I'm from Engineering background, So I decided to take up the Math refersher course from the school in which I will get admit. I have 5 years of work experiece in P&C insurance industry along with two years of extensive Forex Trading. I'm trying to write some algorthims with my trading platform in C++ using some technical studies.And I do really have some basic finance knowledge. Here is the question. I want to take up the finance courses, before I enroll in the school. Is it worth doing CFA or enroll in the graduate school this fall for part-time in Business certificate in Finance( little expensive than CFA, but can afford provided if they can really help me out in my furture graduation or career).Below are the courses that I might be taking in the certficate program.

Financial Accounting
Fundamentals of Financial Management
Financial Management
Investments
Security Analysis and Portfolio Management.

I prefer to take up the finance certificate course, it might earn me some good practical exposure from the school with professors and other students around me. Thinking about CFA, I don't know how reading the books and passing the exam gonna help me without relevant work experience.

I'm in kind of dilemma on the deciding factor. So, your thoughts or views appreciated for any suggestions. Thanks!

I am currently a bachelors student in Electronics engineering, with no experience whatsoever in finance. I am planning to apply for M.S.F.E. My question is, should I apply for fall'11 right after I graduate or should I take a year off to get additional qualifications like CFA? I guess its obvious that the additional qualifications help, but am I at a disadvantage if I apply directly after graduation? I would like to add that I have a cgpa of 9.5 and a GRE score of 1550 (V750/Q800). What chance do I have at an ivy league or any other tier I university with and without the additional certifications?

I am currently a bachelors student in Electronics engineering, with no experience whatsoever in finance. I am planning to apply for M.S.F.E. My question is, should I apply for fall'11 right after I graduate or should I take a year off to get additional qualifications like CFA? I guess its obvious that the additional qualifications help, but am I at a disadvantage if I apply directly after graduation? I would like to add that I have a cgpa of 9.5 and a GRE score of 1550 (V750/Q800). What chance do I have at an ivy league or any other tier I university with and without the additional certifications?

I think you will get in no matter what. Best of luck!

Back