• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CFA Thread

Hi,
I just got my CFA Level 1 results for Dec 2011 and had >70% in all but economics. I consider myself to be someone of average intellect but with a lot of self belief in what I know. My strategy surely does not fit all so it is very appropriate that I include some qualifying assumptions before I suggest anything. I hold a B. Comm Finance Hons completed in 2007 and got it in the upper second class division. This simply means I have a bit of grounding as far as finance concepts are concerned. Ok, so to those who can identify themselves as falling in my category this was my strategy and I hope it will help one or two people in their preparations. I registered for the exams with 2 months to go to the exam and I used the Schweiser books only. I needed about a week to finish one book studying at most 3 hours a day and attempting all end of chapter questions (excluding the comprehensive questions)until two weeks before exam day. With two weeks to go, I started re-reading the books and attempting the end of chapter questions again and I spent about 2days per book since most of the stuff I was skipping. With 3 days to go I took the Dec 2009 mock exam and the next day I took the dec 2011 mock exam. My objective when I took these mock exams was to learn not to pass the mock exams so I did not time myself. This is it about my studies.
Things learnt:
The cfa exams are not the fairest of exams you have ever come across. (it's a quiz like type of exam). When I sat for my Dec 2009 mock exam I did so badly that I almost gave up BUT, you can only learn more about the exam when you get wrong answers and then go over the answer explanations. Most people with a finance background tend to undermine the curriculum and best believe, I have seen great minds fail this exam so please RESPECT your books. The examiners can simply pick a specific line in their books and ask about it, you might the general material but if you are not acquanted with that specific line or statement then you could be south-bound.

Back