• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Chances for MFE Programs

Hi all,

I just graduated from Carnegie Mellon University where I was a part of the B.S Computational Finance program and did a minor in Electrical and Computer Engineering. My GPA was a 3.5 and I graduated with university honors. Last summer I worked at an investment bank in New York as an IB Summer Analyst. In the prior summer I worked at a Bulge Bracket as a DCM Summer Analyst in my home country. I received 3 offers (2 from Chicago Prop Shops and one from a hedge fund [Think AQR, Bridgewater level] to be a quant). Unfortunately I wasn't able to take up my job due to some family problems due to which I had to go back home. In addition to this I was a TA for 4 courses in my school (Probability Theory, a core Computational Finance course, Differential Equations and Microeconomics). I will be applying for MFE/MFin programs in the US and was wondering what my chances would be. I haven't taken the GRE yet but plan on doing so in the next 2 months. What would you guys think my chances would be at top MFE programs/MFin programs. My target is to get into Stanford's Financial Mathematics program, Berkeley, Princeton ORFE/MFin, MIT MFin, Columbia ORFE or CMU MSCF.

Would really appreciate your help and advice. Thanks!

Brand name school: Check
Employable: Check
GPA: Check

Buddy you're gold. But you can do so much better than MFE programs. Why not just apply for jobs again?

Brand name school: Check
Employable: Check
GPA: Check

Buddy you're gold. But you can do so much better than MFE programs. Why not just apply for jobs again?

Not a US Citizen can't get back in the country unfortunately. Only way to do it is to go back to school and not very interested in working in London or Hong Kong/Singapore.

The only thing that would be a negative on your application imo is that you already hold a degree in MFE, why redo the material?

The only thing that would be a negative on your application imo is that you already hold a degree in MFE, why redo the material?
He had a BS in FE not MS.

Like Christopher said, you're gold. Those quant jobs you already got are the reason why people would go to a MFE program. Provided that you handle your application properly, you should have no problem getting into one of those programs.

Back