• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Chances of admission MFE EPFL / QF ETH Zurich

I'm in my second year bachelor's in Econometrics and Operations Research, at the Erasmus University of Rotterdam. My average grade at the moment is 7.8/10, I will try to resist some subjects this summer to get it up as much as possible. I will spend this summer working as an analyst at a Logistics Company, and next semester I will be doing an exchange in Germany. I will try to get some research assistant experience in Germany although I can't confirm yet that this will be on my CV.

I was wondering what my chances are with this background, I get that these grades are not ideal but in the Swiss system, this would be a 5.3/6 or something like that (I think).

(if it matters I am fluent in French)

Last edited:
See that you are in the Netherlands, maybe get with @jonathank to see if you guys can get together this summer to beef up your profile. Seems like C++ and Python are missing on your list.
Thanks for the answer, I'm already using Python (daily) for my course rn, although not complicated stuff. Is C++ a MUST? How important is it for MSc admission? I can start using it for my projects and learn it that way.

C++ is a big deal for many top MSc programs since they have courses where you have to use it. It's a crucial keywords for many job listing these days. Many company will use automatic programs to filter CV/resumes from applicants and will filter out those without these keywords.
The issue is many people can say they know Python well but very few people can say that about C++. And you will get tested about it during interview.
I would say that if you invest in C++, it will open more opportunities for you. Knowing Python well maybe enough but why not allow yourself room for career advancement.
The list below is non-exhaustive.

C++ is a big deal for many top MSc programs since they have courses where you have to use it. It's a crucial keywords for many job listing these days. Many company will use automatic programs to filter CV/resumes from applicants and will filter out those without these keywords.
The issue is many people can say they know Python well but very few people can say that about C++. And you will get tested about it during interview.
I would say that if you invest in C++, it will open more opportunities for you. Knowing Python well maybe enough but why not allow yourself room for career advancement.
The list below is non-exhaustive.
Got it, I'll start using it as much as I can, learning happens by using it anyway, just like any language.

Back