• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

ChatGPT

This is the hottest topic right now and it deserves some discussions here.
In a very short time, ChatGPT has completely changed the way universities approach how they teach students and how to distinguish between AI generated content vs by students.

My co-author who CEO of a software company asked an employ to write a s/w protype. After 4 hours he gave up.

Asked ChatGPT , took 2 minutes

. add back end DB , no prob
. front-end web UI, shure

Working code! Copy and paste on steroids!

// A wise move by Microsoft!

Last edited:
I asked if it knew any songs of the Stranglers, a late 70s new wave group.

"Walking on the beaches lookin' at the peaches" is a nonsensical phrase and does not have a clear meaning."
ChapGPT

This is the hottest topic right now
And possibly the only one TBH, excluding Twitter of course.

Last edited:
It seems great at converting long narratives for simple, tedious coding problems. For the sake of speed in programs that I'm not an expert in, it helps put down work-in-progress code that exposes me to new syntax while I debug it. 👍

Wharton professor Christian Terwiesch said he “fell in love” with ChatGPT after reading its answer to an exam question in his graduate-level operations management course.

The professor fed the question to the controversial new chatbot as part of an experiment to see how the software would perform on a typical test. When prompted to explain the bottleneck process at a hypothetical iron ore factory in Latin America, ChatGPT aced it.

“Wow! Not only is the answer correct, but it is also superbly explained,” Terwiesch wrote in a recent white paper about his experiment. “I don’t see any reasons to take points off from this answer: A+!”

As the relevant technology now stands, Chomsky sees the use of ChatGPT as “basically high-tech plagiarism” and “a way of avoiding learning.” He likens its rise to that of the smartphone: many students “sit there having a chat with somebody on their iPhone. One way to deal with that is to ban iPhones; another way to do it is to make the class interesting.” That students instinctively employ high technology to avoid learning is “a sign that the educational system is failing.” If it “has no appeal to students, doesn’t interest them, doesn’t challenge them, doesn’t make them want to learn, they’ll find ways out,” just as he himself did when he borrowed a friend’s notes to pass a dull college chemistry class without attending it back in 1945.

Noam Chomsky

As the relevant technology now stands, Chomsky sees the use of ChatGPT as “basically high-tech plagiarism” and “a way of avoiding learning.” He likens its rise to that of the smartphone: many students “sit there having a chat with somebody on their iPhone. One way to deal with that is to ban iPhones; another way to do it is to make the class interesting.” That students instinctively employ high technology to avoid learning is “a sign that the educational system is failing.” If it “has no appeal to students, doesn’t interest them, doesn’t challenge them, doesn’t make them want to learn, they’ll find ways out,” just as he himself did when he borrowed a friend’s notes to pass a dull college chemistry class without attending it back in 1945.

Noam Chomsky
Those students that get through school by using tech like ChatGPT are the ones that will ultimately be supplanted by such tech. They do so at their own peril.

Students who learn subjects deeply and hollistically are the ones who will survive, and use tools like ChatGPT to enhance their productivity.

Another point is that ChatGPT needs gratis alpha and beta testers for this new product.

The World's Most Successful Hedge Fund, Citadel Is Currently Negotiating With OpenAI To Purchase An Enterprise-Wide License For ChatGPT 🤯

Billionaire Ken Griffin (net worth $36 billion) has said that ChatGPT will be a game-changer for the economy and that this branch of technology has had a real impact on their business.

“Everything from helping our developers write better code to translate software between languages to analyze various types of information that we analyze in the ordinary course of our business.”

Citadel posted a RECORD of $35 billion in revenue across trading & market making in 2022 from just $54 billion in AUM - it's safe to say the Citadel 'Empire' is absolutely flying.

But a more efficient and technologically advanced Citadel with ChatGPT capabilities could be scary.

This is hilarious.

1678419149085.png

Although ChatGPT is an amazing language model, I am quite surprised with the news of Citadel being in negotiation with OpenAI to acquire a license.

I had tried to get ChatGPT to compute the Kaplan-Meier estimator on a clean dataset subject to right-censoring. The goal was to see if it would be able to apply iteratively a series of operations in cascade. Despite trying different approach as to the way data and instructions were fed, it struggled to perform the task accurately.

To give some context on the difficulty of the task, computing the Kaplan-Meier estimator involves several elementary but tedious steps that need to be performed in a specific order. First, the data needs to be sorted by the time of the event, with right-censored data appropriately marked. Then, for each unique non-censored event time, the number of people at risk and the number of events occurring at that time need to be identified. These values are used to compute the probability of survival up to that time, which is then multiplied with the previous probabilities to obtain the overall probability of survival up to that time point. This process needs to be repeated iteratively for each unique event time.

Maybe Citadel knows something I don't, as after all, they're making billions while I'm sitting in my chair writing this comment.
This comparison misses the point. I don't think anyone will trust ChatGPT to write a piece of code from scratch for things that require human expertise. At the end of the day, Ken runs a business, and if it makes sense either for the top line or bottom line then there's value to it.

Just based on this statement “Everything from helping our developers write better code to translate software between languages to analyze various types of information that we analyze in the ordinary course of our business.” There a a few possibilities:
1. Bug detection: ChatGPT: Enhancing Code Security and Detect Vulnerabilities If it can be a more competent code reviewer then that's operational savings and gives time back to devs to do useful stuff
2. (This one might be a stretch without proper testing/vetting procedures) researchers aren't the greatest developers, and having something that feeds in conceptually correct but operationally bad code and spit out something that's much better is a win.
3. This is probably the biggest selling point. Citadel still has a huge fundamentals business and that business model is limited by how much information their analysts can consume and distill. If the consumption and distillation can be automated (and ChatGPT is an extremely compelling tool for doing so), then there could be huge increase to the amount of information that they consume.

Citadel is definitely not the only hedge fund eyeing this technology.

Is ChatGPT any good at explaining/annotating this?

riverrun, past Eve and Adam’s, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.
Sir Tristram, violer d’amores, fr’over the short sea, had passencore rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy isthmus of Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war: nor had topsawyer’s rocks by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselse to Laurens County’s gorgios while they went doublin their mumper all the time: nor avoice from afire bellowsed mishe mishe to tauftauf thuartpeatrick not yet, though venissoon after, had a kidscad buttended a bland old isaac: not yet, though all’s fair in vanessy, were sosie sesthers wroth with twone nathandjoe. Rot a peck of pa’s malt had Jhem or Shen brewed by arclight and rory end to the regginbrow was to be seen ringsome on the aquaface.

The fall (bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonner ronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk!) of a once wallstrait oldparr is retaled early in bed and later on life down through all christian minstrelsy. The great fall of the offwall entailed at such short notice the pftjschute of Finnegan, erse solid man, that the humptyhillhead of humself prumptly sends an unquiring one well to the west in quest of his tumptytumtoes: and their upturnpikepointandplace is at the knock out in the park where oranges have been laid to rust upon the green since devlinsfirst loved livvy.

“fell in love” with ChatGPT

It's always like that in the beginning. Wait until you have to maintain all this stuff.

This comparison misses the point. I don't think anyone will trust ChatGPT to write a piece of code from scratch for things that require human expertise. At the end of the day, Ken runs a business, and if it makes sense either for the top line or bottom line then there's value to it.

Just based on this statement “Everything from helping our developers write better code to translate software between languages to analyze various types of information that we analyze in the ordinary course of our business.” There a a few possibilities:
1. Bug detection: ChatGPT: Enhancing Code Security and Detect Vulnerabilities If it can be a more competent code reviewer then that's operational savings and gives time back to devs to do useful stuff
2. (This one might be a stretch without proper testing/vetting procedures) researchers aren't the greatest developers, and having something that feeds in conceptually correct but operationally bad code and spit out something that's much better is a win.
3. This is probably the biggest selling point. Citadel still has a huge fundamentals business and that business model is limited by how much information their analysts can consume and distill. If the consumption and distillation can be automated (and ChatGPT is an extremely compelling tool for doing so), then there could be huge increase to the amount of information that they consume.

Citadel is definitely not the only hedge fund eyeing this technology.
First of all I agree with you. Unless we start publishing thousands of easily scripted trading related algos on the internet, ChatGPT will never be able to reproduce something similar.
I doubt that it’s ChatGPT specifically that hedge funds and/or Citadel are after. No doubt that it’s good for publicity as it seems like any headline with ChatGPT in it would get high traction these days.
From my work experience in NLP, OpenAI has more sophisticated APIs that could be integrated different systems and make processes more efficient.
When it comes to the distillation and analyzation of text input I suggest checking out their Embeddings endpoint :)

Last edited:
Microsoft Just Launched Copilot 365 — Basically A ChatGPT-4 Powered Microsoft Office

Here’s the summary of what it can do for you:
• Excel - Helps you analyze trends and create professional-looking data visualizations in seconds.
• Powerpoint - Helps you create presentations with a simple prompt.
• Outlook - Helps you clear your inbox in minutes, not hours.
• Teams - It can summarize key discussion points and suggest action items, all in real time during a meeting.

The speed at which this is moving is incredible and the productivity gains will be just awesome.

OpenAI announced a product extension for ChatGPT allowing the chatbot to interact with external data and services. With plugins, ChatGPT now can search for real-time information on the web, order groceries from DoorDash, and book flights, hotels, or rental cars on Kayak. In short, plugins have transformed ChatGPT into an app platform that could challenge the iPhone.

Back