• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Chicago Booth MiF

I think on their website they said decision release next week (week of Mar 4). Does no interview mean rejection so far?
I have just as much information as you, but given that the website also says that interviews are required before admission I would assume likely yes. Who knows though, it's the first year...

I have just as much information as you, but given that the website also says that interviews are required before admission I would assume likely yes. Who knows though, it's the first year...
I saw on social media that one student already got offer (directly applied to mif not transfer from mim) and another got rejected last week. Not sure what is going on haha...

I guess the only thing for now is that no response is better than rejection aha. Time will tell

I don't see them interview a lot of people. Maybe not a lot people have posted.
Yeah. The "interview is required for admission" statement is what I am concerned with...but guess we will find out next week anyways.

Sorry to hear all the rejections. I submitted my application for round two.

The whole thing is without any history and nobody is talking about it. It makes me nervous lol. No idea what they are expecting from applicants.

I'm curious if those who applied did so along with applying to the MSFM, or if they just wanted the MiF? If its the latter, what makes it more attractive than just a booth mba (given that it is a known quantity)?

I'm curious if those who applied did so along with applying to the MSFM, or if they just wanted the MiF? If its the latter, what makes it more attractive than just a booth mba (given that it is a known quantity)?
I applied to Booth MBA before and was interviewed and denied lol. I can say one major difference is that MBA is focused more on people with experience, I think the average for their class profile was 5 years, whereas MiF is for fresh graduates with essentially no work experience.

Also Booth MBA is known for its flexible class schedule which allows you basically take whatever you want. Given the duration for MBA is 2 years and MiF is 15 month, its suffice to say that MBA students will be more qualified in job placements than MiF students as they can take exactly the same classes as MiF students do but with additional courses as their duration is longer.

But Booth MBA is extremally hard to get in.

I applied to Booth MBA before and was interviewed and denied lol. I can say one major difference is that MBA is focused more on people with experience, I think the average for their class profile was 5 years, whereas MiF is for fresh graduates with essentially no work experience.

Also Booth MBA is known for its flexible class schedule which allows you basically take whatever you want. Given the duration for MBA is 2 years and MiF is 15 month, its suffice to say that MBA students will be more qualified in job placements than MiF students as they can take exactly the same classes as MiF students do but with additional courses as their duration is longer.

But Booth MBA is extremally hard to get in.
All makes sense. I guess my confusion is that it doesn't seem to necessarily be the case that the business school MFins are statistically easier to get into than their MBA counterparts (CBS MSFE: 9%, CBS MBA:22%; Sloan MBA: 13.8%, Sloan MFin: 14.6%) and if you want to do quant you could just go that route with defined quant programs. I guess it doesnt seem clear to me that an applicant with little work experience would a.) be more competitive for the MFins given a rejection from the MBA and b.) should have a positive expected value from going the MFin route over getting more experience and reapplying to MBA.

Now of course it seems like the MFin might be good preparation for someone who knows they want to do something very specific in finance (e.g., sell side econ research desk) that isn't a perfect match for either a quant or a business student (this is where I see programs like Yale AM adding value).

All that aside, its a grad program at Booth so attending is likely a good career boost regardless.

Last edited:
All makes sense. I guess my confusion is that it doesn't seem to necessarily be the case that the business school MFins are statistically easier to get into than their MBA counterparts (CBS MSFE: 9%, CBS MBA:22%; Sloan MBA: 13.8%, Sloan MFin: 14.6%) and if you want to do quant you could just go that route with defined quant programs. I guess it doesnt seem clear to me that an applicant with little work experience would a.) be more competitive for the MFins given a rejection from the MBS and b.) should have a positive expected value from going the MFin route over getting more experience and reapplying to MBA.

Now of course it seems like the MFin might be good preparation for someone who knows they want to do something very specific in finance (e.g., sell side econ research desk) that isn't a perfect match for either a quant or a business student (this is where I see programs like Yale AM adding value).

All that aside, its a grad program at Booth so attending is likely a good career boost regardless.
Good point, I personally believe the reasons why MBA statistically are higher than MFin program is probably because there are less applicants applying to MBA per year compared to MFin (just a guess)

Good point, I personally believe the reasons why MBA statistically are higher than MFin program is probably because there are less applicants applying to MBA per year compared to MFin (just a guess)
Less to MBA? Booth had 5000+ applications last year.

Oh wow, that's interesting
Yea - MBA has insane demand. If you want to see how crazy the MBA application process is compared to quant programs check out r/MBA. It'll make you thankful for how simple most of our applications were lol

All makes sense. I guess my confusion is that it doesn't seem to necessarily be the case that the business school MFins are statistically easier to get into than their MBA counterparts (CBS MSFE: 9%, CBS MBA:22%; Sloan MBA: 13.8%, Sloan MFin: 14.6%) and if you want to do quant you could just go that route with defined quant programs. I guess it doesnt seem clear to me that an applicant with little work experience would a.) be more competitive for the MFins given a rejection from the MBA and b.) should have a positive expected value from going the MFin route over getting more experience and reapplying to MBA.

I can offer my two cents.

So if you graduate from an MBA program focusing on IB, your start position would likely be a financial associate or above, whereas if you graduate from very specific degrees, say MFin or MiF, you would most likely start from bottom positions such as financial analyst.

Also, MBA is more or less gonna be focusing on management, hence the name, so you would be in a better situation when it comes to promotion to its management team, where as MFin or MiF you would be doing very tech-specific works so you are less likely to be promoted to its management level.

But again, given that MBA requires far more work experience than MiF, they are targeting very different segments of students who want to get into financial industries.

What are yall's opinion on this program? Lowkey wanna take a risk going here, even though it's a 1st year program. I would assume they would try their best so that more people will apply to this program in the following years. Would it be a competitive program to hunt for quant jobs? With my current offers so far (Columbia MAFN, UCLA and this) still waiting on a couple other ones like Uchi MSFM . I kind of prefer this program compared over Columbia's MAFN

Back