• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Chicago MSFM Chicago MSFM has interview this year?

Hey guys, I just talked to the person in charge of conducting the interviews and she said they are basing the interviews on the video we submitted for the application. If you did not submit the video or they want to ask more questions regarding your application and interest in the program, they will request an interview. However, if you did submit the video and everything is good with your application then you should not be receiving an interview. If you haven't heard it's a good sign! I am just as confused but it seems like it's not a typical interview.

i did not apply for this program. but i also read about that guy on that forum. i vaguely remember that the interview was technical.
on same forum. i think someone said that he submitted video and also received interview. apparently there are 80 slots.
this is purely my speculation: that ad office person's reason is a little suspicious. why would they hold the good applications' decisions when they release ad decisions fairly soon after the interviews?

but dont lose hope yet! there are a lot available spots. so maybe more interviews coming up!

i did not apply for this program. but i also read about that guy on that forum. i vaguely remember that the interview was technical.
on same forum. i think someone said that he submitted video and also received interview. apparently there are 80 slots.
this is purely my speculation: that ad office person's reason is a little suspicious. why would they hold the good applications' decisions when they release ad decisions fairly soon after the interviews?

but dont lose hope yet! there are a lot available spots. so maybe more interviews coming up!
The class size of UChicago MSFM is 70, so they should admit 100+ ppl (Columbia MSFE admit about 110 to have 70 class size, so Chicago might need more ). 80 slots are not enough and the number of lots should be larger than interviewees in general. There are two possibilities: 1) interview is not the necessary step in the admission process 2) Chicago would extend their slots. But according to the post of Ramneik Bathla, I feel the former is more likely to be true.

The reason the interview is more technical is because they want to make sure you have the necessary skillset to succeed in the program. I don't believe it is the "next step" in the process like other schools have.

The girl who got early decision from Chicago MSFM had an interview and the director asked about past experiences mainly and no technical questions. They did asked about details of research experiences though. More slots are opened today btw. It is so weird.

Talked with several friends who got ad such as Columbia MFE, it seems that they did not received interviews from Chicago.

I know some ppl with very strong background received interviews and some did not. Just have no ideal about it.

The girl who got early decision from Chicago MSFM had an interview and the director asked about past experiences mainly and no technical questions. They did asked about details of research experiences though. More slots are opened today btw. It is so weird.

Interesting. I thought the girl got ED was you..

Hey guys, I've received a interview reminder from the interviewer, the Associate Director for Career Development. In the letter, it's said that "This will be a Skype phone interview, so no business attire is necessary". Just for the record. :alien:

I got interview from the career development office. Is the interview more about career or just common admission interview?

Thanks!

I got interview from the career development office. Is the interview more about career or just common admission interview?

Thanks!
just some common questions, such as career goals, resume, other program that you apply etc. Different interviewers have different questions. Mine is the director.

just some common questions, such as career goals, resume, other program that you apply etc. Different interviewers have different questions. Mine is the director.

Did the director tell you about the decision date?

Back