• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Chicago MSFM Prep course vs. UCB Prep courses

BBB

What do you guys think is the better option? I only have a finance undergrad so I am looking to supplement that with these courses. Which choice looks better when applying to schools? Do other schools care that you completed another institution's prep courses?

The Chicago prep course is tailored towards prospective students of the Chicago MSFM as it awards no certificate and is 9 months in length. This kind of timeframe will likely interfere with application windows of most programs. You can request for a letter certifying completion but I'm not sure how that will work out. I'm taking this course currently and was intending to ask about this nearing the end of this quarter after all the homework has been graded.

If you take all 3 courses from UCB (Math, Stats and C++), it will still be cheaper than the Chicago option and you'll get 3 certificates stating completion and grade. It has more utility when applying to other schools.

I'm taking the Chicago option only because it gels with my needs perfectly and the Chicago MSFM is my target program.

Ok thanks. How has the Chicago program been? I'll be in Chicago for work so the Chicago MSFM will be my target program as well. Will Chicago look more highly upon their prep than UCB's?

The Chicago prep course spans 3 quarters and the first quarter is almost over.

As to whether they will hold their prep course in higher regard, I'm in no position to judge, but I would think that most schools will have more trust in their own programs since they'll know exactly what it entails.

Note that the Chicago prep course Calculus portion is also very heavy on mathematical analysis, referencing texts like Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis and the classic Spivak's Calculus. I'm not sure if the UCB Math prep course is also similarly so proof heavy and analysis-focused, so perhaps someone who's been through it can comment.

In your opinion, what level of math background should one have to be able to successfully complete the math in the Chicago prep course?

As a participant in the Chicago prep course and a current MSFM student there, trust me on this...the Chicago prep course is a bribe to get into the program. Everyone who enrolls gets in. You will not learn anything useful.

Edit: I'd like to stress that if you don't intend on applying to UChicago, save your time and money.

That's interesting. Chicago is my top choice and I believe my firm will pay for the prep course so other than the time spent it's kind of a win-win.

As a participant in the Chicago prep course and a current MSFM student there, trust me on this...the Chicago prep course is a bribe to get into the program. Everyone who enrolls gets in. You will not learn anything useful.

Edit: I'd like to stress that if you don't intend on applying to UChicago, save your time and money.

Would you recommend taking individual courses at NW or UChi instead of the prep? Chicago is my target, but I'd like to learn something since I only have a finance undergrad.

Would you recommend taking individual courses at NW or UChi instead of the prep? Chicago is my target, but I'd like to learn something since I only have a finance undergrad.
I'll answer this way...

The math you'll need is not super difficult...if you had some calculus and linear algebra in undergrad, you'll be fine.

For that reason, you don't really NEED a prep course for Chicago's MSFM. However, as I mentioned, if you enroll in the prep course, you will almost definitely get in.

An anecdote about the prep course: Last year, the week after acceptance letters to the program were sent out, prep course attendance dropped by AT LEAST 50%. People simply cancelled and avoided paying the third $2500 installment.

For that reason, you don't really NEED a prep course for Chicago's MSFM. However, as I mentioned, if you enroll in the prep course, you will almost definitely get in.

An anecdote about the prep course: Last year, the week after acceptance letters to the program were sent out, prep course attendance dropped by AT LEAST 50%. People simply cancelled and avoided paying the third $2500 installment.
What is the class size for the course? If more than 50% of people cancel after they got admitted to the program to avoid $2500, I guess the program can delay the acceptance letters until all tuition is received.

What is the class size for the course? If more than 50% of people cancel after they got admitted to the program to avoid $2500, I guess the program can delay the acceptance letters until all tuition is received.
Actually, the timing was funny. The acceptance letters came March 9, the day after the second bill was due.

So far, I have enjoyed the program. The Statistics class is a little much and gets some complaints, but I think they are just packing way too much into one quarter. There is definitely a much greater effort being made in the way of career services; this had been a big complaint.

I'll answer this way...

The math you'll need is not super difficult...if you had some calculus and linear algebra in undergrad, you'll be fine.

Thanks for your responses. I'll definitely have to take this into consideration.

I applied to the Chicago MSMF program and was getting info about the prep courses held in Singapore (because I'm in India). They seem to have revised their original 3-module course into a 2-module course (apparently enough didn't go for the first offer). The two modules cost about $2,500 - $3,000 each depending on how early you register.

I don't necessarily need the coursework per se, but I mostly got Bs during my competitive college math courses and an A in programming. I need to register within the next few days for the first module, but the course only starts around March when decisions are out. Therefore, Chicago will get to see I paid top dollar for their prep course, but will be deciding on my app well before the course ends.

Could interest and choosing to enroll in the by itself make the admission decision swing in my favour and offset non-superlative grades? I definitely wouldn't mind paying the fee if it would really raise my chances of admission.

How I wish UCB cud show similar preference to their pre MFE enrolls ;)

Just an update on this:

I contacted the administrators at Chicago and understand the Singapore prep-course is targeted more for people applying to Singapore, not Chicago. However, the professors are from the main campus and I'm going to go ahead and do it anyway for what it's worth.

Back