• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Chicago MSFM vs Columbia MFE

Columbia MSFE vs Chicago MSFM

• Columbia MFE

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • Chicago MSFM ($50,000+ Scholarship)

Votes: 22 53.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have been fortunate enough to gain acceptance into the two programs above. I am leaning slightly towards Chicago given the generous scholarship I received (which does matter a lot to me), but I would still like to hear from you guys. I was wondering if going to Chicago would limit my postgraduate outcomes?

Upon graduation, I intend to work in derivative pricing or asset management. From what I understand, both programs are excellent in this area. However, Columbia seems to offer a wider range of electives and PhD courses. That said, there are also many interesting courses (e.g. market microstructure) that I would like to take in Chicago.

The area that I would like to improve the most is my financial computing skills in C++ and Python. So I am also planning to take some programming courses. I think both programs offer a lot of courses in this area too.

Also, I have no preference between working in Chicago vs New York. I am not tied to any location, and would be happy to work anywhere else too.

My plan was originally to visit and speak with the faculty members of both departments before making a final decision, but travelling during the virus outbreak does not seem to be a wise decision. I would really appreciate if you could please share with me what you know about the two programs.

Thank you!!

Last edited:
That's a damn tough decision, but a good problem to have haha I don't know much about uchicago but I can only suggest registering for their information session which is march 18th

That's a damn tough decision, but a good problem to have haha I don't know much about uchicago but I can only suggest registering for their information session which is march 18th
Exactly... I am really torn between the two choices but thank you for the suggestion! I will register for the information session for sure.

the way I look at it, a school/program has to be very significantly better to choose it over a program offering a 50k scholarship; I believe it's clear cut that if Columbia is better, it wouldn't be better enough to justify foregoing a 50k scholarship at Chicago

also 50k when you are just starting graduate school is worth a lot more than 50k a few years into your post graduate career

Great problem to have! And congratulations for your admits 😊

Clearly, everyone agrees that Columbia MFE is comparatively better than Chicago. And the Ivy brand you get on your resume. But 50k is a lot more than all these at this stage is what I feel. You'll barely have to pay further to earn a degree at an almost good program as Columbia. On any day with that level of scholarship, I'd go with Chicago.

Back