• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Choosing between grad schools

Which one should I consider?

• Total voters

kdb

Hi Everyone,

I received admits from UChicago MSFM(30% scholarship) and Georgia Tech QCF. I know that UChicago is much better in terms of rankings and Chicago as a city is much better to build connections than Atlanta. I even have started connecting with alums of Chicago to get their opinion and will add anything new/ important that I find to this thread. I am also waiting for decisions from Columbia Financial Engineering, Cornell FE, NYU Courant Financial Mathematics.
I have already paid the deposit for GATech and I have to pay the deposit for Chicago by April 5. So doing a thorough comparison of all 5 options so that in case I get an admit from any of the other 3 around the deadline, I am ready with my decision.
So I did a rough comparison of the colleges(attached a screenshot below) of what I think is important but I wanted to know the opinion of other applicants and experts on this forum about other things that I should consider.
I'm particularly drawn to UChicago, Columbia, and Cornell at the moment, but I'm keeping an open mind until I've thoroughly evaluated all options.

I would greatly appreciate any input, advice, or suggestions from fellow applicants or experts in this community on aspects I should consider or any experiences you could share regarding these programs.

Attachments

• Comparision.JPG
    Comparision.JPG
    316.9 KB · Views: 149
Recieved admits from NYU and Cornell today
Have the deadline for Chicago this Friday, but still confused between these options.
Would love to connect and hear viewpoints of others.
Thanks for your time!!

PS: Calculated the fees incorrectly for Cornell, it's $97k which concerns me as it's a lot higher than Chicago and not sure if the IVY tag and the NYC difference is worth it considering Chicago is doing really well in placements as well.

Hi Everyone,

I received admits from UChicago MSFM(30% scholarship) and Georgia Tech QCF. I know that UChicago is much better in terms of rankings and Chicago as a city is much better to build connections than Atlanta. I even have started connecting with alums of Chicago to get their opinion and will add anything new/ important that I find to this thread. I am also waiting for decisions from Columbia Financial Engineering, Cornell FE, NYU Courant Financial Mathematics.
I have already paid the deposit for GATech and I have to pay the deposit for Chicago by April 5. So doing a thorough comparison of all 5 options so that in case I get an admit from any of the other 3 around the deadline, I am ready with my decision.
So I did a rough comparison of the colleges(attached a screenshot below) of what I think is important but I wanted to know the opinion of other applicants and experts on this forum about other things that I should consider.
I'm particularly drawn to UChicago, Columbia, and Cornell at the moment, but I'm keeping an open mind until I've thoroughly evaluated all options.

I would greatly appreciate any input, advice, or suggestions from fellow applicants or experts in this community on aspects I should consider or any experiences you could share regarding these programs.
I believe Columbia MFE program is only 2 semester (not 1.5 year). I would prefer a longer program, it is better for learning and quality of life as well. Regarding the city safety, I think that is very subjective and depends on where you'll live. For Chicago, if you plan to stay close to campus or in a well developed neighborhood, it should be fairly safe. UChicago has the second largest private security in the world - only behind Vaticano.

Recieved admits from NYU and Cornell today
Have the deadline for Chicago this Friday, but still confused between these options.
Would love to connect and hear viewpoints of others.
Thanks for your time!!

PS: Calculated the fees incorrectly for Cornell, it's $97k which concerns me as it's a lot higher than Chicago and not sure if the IVY tag and the NYC difference is worth it considering Chicago is doing really well in placements as well.
If I had an offer between NYU and Cornell, I'd choose NYU. Not even gonna spend one more second thinking about it, except if I get a good scholarship from Cornell....For me, the length of the program (2yrs) matters. I actually think many folks here underestimate how important this can be. NYU also has bootcamps before the semester which could be very very helpful if you apply your full attention to it. It is located in NYU, you can easily network, go for events, visit business schools, career fairs, companies etc. NYU is full of many opportunities and that would not stop you from applying to places like Chicago, Miami, and other financial hubs in the US. You only get to do your third semester in NY if you choose Cornell. NYU also has several course offerings and you have the chance to learn broadly and in-depth which could be helpful during job search. NYU is also cheaper than Cornell. It's a no-brainer for me but if the Ivy league tag is important to you, then go for it.

Now, we're left with NYU and Chicago..Picking between NYU and Chicago is a little bit tougher, if money is not an issue for you. Ideally, the scholarship from Chicago coupled with the reputation of the school and the program should make it the obvious choice. But if money is not an issue, NYU could be a great option for you depending on your circumstance. You can also reach out to @NYU Tandon MS FE Admissions Team if you require more information about the program. They do an excellent job of responding to all the questions here.

Left to me, I'd say you should go to Chicago mainly cos of the scholarship plus it's actually a very good school/program but it really depends on you. I wish you the best!

If I had an offer between NYU and Cornell, I'd choose NYU. Not even gonna spend one more second thinking about it, except if I get a good scholarship from Cornell....For me, the length of the program (2yrs) matters. I actually think many folks here underestimate how important this can be. NYU also has bootcamps before the semester which could be very very helpful if you apply your full attention to it. It is located in NYU, you can easily network, go for events, visit business schools, career fairs, companies etc. NYU is full of many opportunities and that would not stop you from applying to places like Chicago, Miami, and other financial hubs in the US. You only get to do your third semester in NY if you choose Cornell. NYU also has several course offerings and you have the chance to learn broadly and in-depth which could be helpful during job search. NYU is also cheaper than Cornell. It's a no-brainer for me but if the Ivy league tag is important to you, then go for it.

Now, we're left with NYU and Chicago..Picking between NYU and Chicago is a little bit tougher, if money is not an issue for you. Ideally, the scholarship from Chicago coupled with the reputation of the school and the program should make it the obvious choice. But if money is not an issue, NYU could be a great option for you depending on your circumstance. You can also reach out to @NYU Tandon MS FE Admissions Team if you require more information about the program. They do an excellent job of responding to all the questions here.

Left to me, I'd say you should go to Chicago mainly cos of the scholarship plus it's actually a very good school/program but it really depends on you. I wish you the best!
Hey
Thanks a lot for your reply and a detailed comparison. This really helps a lot. I'm concerned about the costs but also the safety in Chicago. It even has evening classes(6-9PM) which is not that safe apparently

Hey
Thanks a lot for your reply and a detailed comparison. This really helps a lot. I'm concerned about the costs but also the safety in Chicago. It even has evening classes(6-9PM) which is not that safe apparently
Yes, you are right. Safety is a big deal but I would like to encourage you to be unafraid. Many people go there to study, and most people graduate from the school unscathed. Safety tips such as not walking alone, not walking in the dark, taking Uber rides instead of trekking all the way, staying on campus overnight (if you feel going back home might be too late, might even be a good chance to study), squatting with a colleague on campus, etc..should be enough to ensure that you are safe. Also, you will not be there forever. It's just for a while.

But again, it depends on you. There is this thing called intuition, soul guide etc...that cannot be explained. If you are still not able to decide on an option after it all, I'll suggest you listen to the voice within. You can pray to God for directions (if you believe He exists). He will guide you if allow Him.

Regards

Just wanted an opinion if industry professionals as professors possess any advantage or disadvantage, particularly in reference to UChicago and Cornell. Chicago has industry professionals taking the lectures.

Back