• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Civil Engineering Student at Ivy

Hey guys,

I'm currently at Columbia looking at careers as a quant. Through some poor decisions I'm a junior year Civ E instead of a Financial Engineer. My gpa is quite poor and I'm having trouble getting a finance internship for the summer. What steps do I need to take to become a competitive applicant for full time recruiting next year? I'm going to try to do research next semester concerning probability and damage impact of hurricanes on downtown manhattan and along the rest of the coast. In addition, I'm also gonna start teaching myself python (already know Matlab) and hopefully will do a few projects to showcase my skills once I become proficient. My gpa is a barrier but my major gpa should be decent by senior year. Is there anything else I should do? Thanks for any help.

keep looking for those internships running through regular semesters as well. u need some real experience.

i just checked out lionshare and narrowed down 132 internships either paid or unpaid. unpaid internships will generally be easier to obtain but not bad as a starter, as i myself did one unpaid pwm internship first before doing any paid. but paid is always better. i believe u still have time to nail something down

my search criteria:
Commercial Banking & Credit X
Insurance X
Investment Banking X
Investment / Portfolio Managemen... X
Management Consulting

don't just set for quant type of roles. broad your search for any consulting related as well. definitely tailor your resume to different jobs you are applying. i personally regretted big time of doing this quant stuff. all my friends who ventured to banking/consulting have been killing it (making big bucks and bonking models) while im just earning a miserable paycheck and climbing a tasteless corporate ladder

What kind of quant role did you get that you didnt like? I thought Citadel/ DE Shaw were pretty cushy gigs.

And ya Im looking for further internship opportunities but I might have to take another summer of Engineering.

What kind of quant role did you get that you didnt like? I thought Citadel/ DE Shaw were pretty cushy gigs.
apparently im one of the many who do not work at citadel/de shaw/renaissance tech... my resentment mostly comes from the fact that i work at the liability/debt/hedge side in a bank despite my team trades (a lot in terms of volume) and also conducts some serious quantitative research. i would likely have felt a little better if i work at the asset side...

You are still a junior. You have time to find an internship. Can you start a minor in quant finance / math / computer science / operations research or even stats ?

Getting an internship is the easiest way to get a full time job. Start looking asap. You are at Columbia SEAS which is one of the top engineering schools / target schools in the nation - there must be someone recruiting there!

You are still a junior. You have time to find an internship. Can you start a minor in quant finance / math / computer science / operations research or even stats ?

Getting an internship is the easiest way to get a full time job. Start looking asap. You are at Columbia SEAS which is one of the top engineering schools / target schools in the nation - there must be someone recruiting there!

I'm minoring in Comp Sci but dont know if I'll have enough time to finish all the credits for the minor. I've been applying (although I've stopped for a bit after the last string of rejections) but I can't even get an interview. I have previous engineering internships but again i'm trying to stray away from that. Thank you for the reply and I'm trying my best.

Back