• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF Requirements

I had a few questions regarding the requirements of the CMU MSCF application:

1) I have taken 1 semester of Calculus during my undergraduate years. I have used it in other courses not specifically focused on Calculus. The requirement states 2 semesters of Calculus. Should I worry about this or mention that I will take up additional Calculus courses before admission.

2) It mentions programming knowledge required. I have seen that C++ is important in this field but I have experience in Python. Should I take up the C++ course offered by QuantNet?

Additionally, I have completed the MITx Mathematical Methods of Quantitative Finance on edX. Will this help my application favorably?

Any and all help is appreciated!

If you only took one semester of calculus during undergraduate, then you are not prepared to undertake an MFE and will probably not be accepted in your present state. You should worry about this, and will definitely need additional calculus (also linear algebra, probability; really as much math and stats as you can fit between now and then). I really hope that your 'other courses not specifically focused on calculus' were not just microeconomics, in which case you've got a fairly steep learning curve ahead of you.

It's doable, just maybe not this admissions cycle.

Yes, you should take the C++ course offered by QN, it will definitely help. But the lack of math knowledge is the more concerning point at this time.

Hi @MikeLawrence thank you so much for your feedback!

I guess I was not clear regarding the Math requirements. I have done 1 semester of a course that has 'Calculus' in its title but additional courses such as Numerical Analysis, Mathematical Economics which were heavy in Calculus as well. Additionally, I have taken courses in Linear Algebra as well as calculus-based probability (I was a TA for a probability course). I have a bachelor's in economics with a specialization in Quantitative Economics and a Minor in Mathematics.

I believe I have the required math knowledge just that the course names might not have the specific word 'calculus'. I wanted to check if the admissions committee would be strict about this kind of requirement.

Appreciate your input on the C++ course, I will probably highlight that I will take it up before admission.

Thank you so much for taking the time!

Hello,
My daughter is interested in applying to CMU MSCF , Currently she is doing a double major in Maths and Economics with a 4.0 GPA and is studying in an liberal arts college in the USA known for its academic rigours. She has done Econometrics (in R and STATA); OOP, Data Structures, and Algorithms (Java); Applied Game Theory; Discrete Bridges to Advanced Mathematics: Graph Theory; Differential Equations , Real analysis, Machine Learning, Probability and statistics, Finance, Operations research, Pricing and hedging, Derivatives & Algebra.
She also has working knowledge or R and Python.
The only thing she is lacking is a good internship.
can anyone suggest if these credentials are good enough to get into the CMU MSCF program or any other top Financial Engineerings/Mathematical finance programs?

Back