CMU MSCF vs Harvard CSE vs Cornell MFE

• Thread starter Thread starter pgtbzzj
  • Start date Start date
Hi ,

I know there are many experienced people here and I was hoping for some advice on choosing school. As I listed in the title, I have three options right now, CMU's MSCF vs Harvard CSE (it is a new program Computational Science and Engineering, with the option of extending one more year to get the Master of Engineering instead of Master of Science) vs Cornell's MFE. I know CMU's MSCF has a really good reputation in the industry, but the name Harvard just makes it hard to turn down. I am also afraid that once I choose CMU, there will not be a way back and I will have to follow the path and get a job as a trader, and frankly, I am not very sure if that is what I want right now. But the Harvard's program is new and I am also afraid of not being able to get a job since most of the people at school are going into PHDs. Any advice could help. I truly appreciate your help. Thanks!

graduates of the mscf program go into all sorts of roles.

But they are still in the field of quantitative finance, right? I am just really concerned for this whole field, considering how many people are trying to jump in right now... It feels like a bubble again...

yes, almost all end up in quantitative finance. and yes, it is a bubble. that's why you have a slew of poor programs and a horde of students applying to these programs. they don't know any better; all they see are dollar signs and the schools are happy to part them from their cash.

yes, almost all end up in quantitative finance. and yes, it is a bubble. that's why you have a slew of poor programs and a horde of students applying to these programs. they don't know any better; all they see are dollar signs and the schools are happy to part them from their cash.

Thanks....:) so i guess you are voting for CMU then.....

no. yours is the only vote that matters. figure out what you want to do and what program will best help you get there.

Back