• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF CMU NYC and Pitt campus

@Ryan in that sense ny appears to be better than pittsburgh, assuming location would not be that critical for roles in asia. Do you feel otherwise

Students in NYC definitely get more exposure to industry, assuming you are a social person. This is leading you to a NY offer. But the problem is most Chinese students have problems in landing S&T offer in NYC, due to language and culture barrier. So people who don't want to do quant choose S&T in Asia.

If you want to do quant in NYC, NYC campus should be a better choice.

Students in NYC definitely get more exposure to industry, assuming you are a social person. This is leading you to a NY offer. But the problem is most Chinese students have problems in landing S&T offer in NYC, due to language and culture barrier. So people who don't want to do quant choose S&T in Asia.
Isn't that problem the same in every program? You gotta get out and network.
Being Chinese or foreigner is not an excuse, when you have less than a year to find an internship and a FT job. It's a theme I keep hearing from their Career service director at NYC when we visited their campus.

Being Chinese or foreigner is not an excuse, when you have less than a year to find an internship and a FT job. It's a theme I keep hearing from their Career service director at NYC when we visited their campus.

But that's the reality. Most BB Bank only hire S&T analyst/associate in native English speaker pool because its strong demand of communication with coworker and clients. No matter how social you are, most Chinese can only land a quant job in NYC because quant position requires more analytical and less communication. In this case, I don't see any problems to seek a S&T job in Asia which can leverage their communication and networking, given that's the career goal for the person. People should utilize their strength.

Hi, Andy
I want to know is there any difference in admission between these two campus?

Alright...I have dreamed that the NY campus may require a lower standard...

They ask you for a campus preference when you apply, but this is not final. I believe students are allowed to change campuses (only once) after you enroll.

When I interviewed last year, they told me that they encourage students right out of school to go to NY, and working professionals who have had that experience already to return to the academic atmosphere of the main campus. Following his advice, I applied and was accepted at the NYC campus. Great location I must say!

Back