• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU Pittsburgh vs NYC campus

I am applying to the CMU MFE program Fall 2022. I am trying to decide whether to apply to the Pittsburg or NYC campus. The website said that they are practically the same except that faculty only comes for 2 weeks every 7 weeks to the NYC campus. I found a thread in this forum but it only had one answer and it was from 2016. Do any of you have an opinion?

My perspective.

NYC:
- It's NYC
Cons:
- Cost of living
- Faculty and resources.
- People may attend remotely and not attend lectures in the NYC campus.

Pittsburg:
- Faculty and resources
Cons
- Not NYC

Related threads here and here.
Career services of CMU are excellent, and students of both campuses would be provided with the same resources. As a student in their NYC "campus"(which is just a building) you would attend most lectures remotely.
I would say the NYC option would be better if you're already working there and want to do the program part-time or if you are fresh out of college and want to spend a lot of time networking. As seen by people's opinions in the threads, there seems to be no clear advantage of choosing the NYC location in terms of careers and you would probably benefit more from the close proximity to the faculty and peers in the Pittsburgh campus.

If it were any other program, I would say NYC being NYC, is an advantage. But you're going to one of the best MFE programs in the world at a world-class institute, it won't matter so much.

I have been to NYC but never to Pittsburgh. It probably has changed a lot since my day. All I knew is that song by Pete Seeger,

BTW wasn't CMU ranked #3 for 2022?

I have been to NYC but never to Pittsburgh. It probably has changed a lot since my day. All I knew is that song by Pete Seeger,

BTW wasn't CMU ranked #3 for 2022?
Yes, it was. It's consistently ranked top 3 and is undoubtedly a top 5 program. The other program directors would probable agree with the claim too, it has the highest peer assessment score in the rankings.

I think it's fair to call it "one of the best" MFE programs.

Do the chances of admission change based on the preference selected (NYC campus or PA campus), i.e. is one of them strictly a popular choice among applicants and does applying to other choice increase the chances of selection?

Back