• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Coding for quantitative trader, quantitative portfolio manager and derivative trader.

Hello!! I'm one of the students who recently got admitted to one of the MFE programs.

I'm from finance undergraduate background and I got some work experience as derivative analyst. My future career goal is to become one of the list below

Future career path

- quantitative trader
- quantitative portfolio manager
- derivative trader.
- algorithm trader

I know basic about below languages but I want to improve my coding skills to next level

R
Python
C++
VBA
SQL

How much coding experienced are required for those jobs and what kind of language should be learned?
I was considering to take Advanced C++11/C++14 and Multidisciplinary Applications course from Quant.net.
Does advanced C++ Skills are required for those jobs? or is it too much for trader?

What kind of coding courses should I take ?
Thank you in advance. I really want to hear advice from experienced people.

One fact is that if you have good C++ skills then it's the top of the programming languages heap. In this sense it is a real blue-chip skill IMO.

Thanks for advice

Then, in order to become trader what should I do?
Even though I need luck, I want to improve my chance by education and experience.

I have traded stocks with my own account. Even if I stopped because of my full time job which was derivative analyst. I will restart trading.

Can you give me any advice to increase my chance of becoming a trader?
Thank you in advance

It's not "getting more important"; it already is... if not to write tools, then to understand the company trading systems. To be very honest though, no one is going to hire you as a trader (in America at least) unless your English is up to scratch, as communication is extremely important

It's not "getting more important"; it already is... if not to write tools, then to understand the company trading systems. To be very honest though, no one is going to hire you as a trader (in America at least) unless your English is up to scratch, as communication is extremely important

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your advice. I will work on improving my coding skills and English.

Get a track record or a least (paper) trading experience.

I can recommend you my book "Knowledge rather than Hope: A Book for Retail Investors and Mathematical Finance Students" (in parallel you will learn R) and my blog (start reading with this: Einstein - a star trader on Wikifolio, who can beat the market — letYourMoneyGrow.com - Serving Retail Investors ).

I will visit the blog and read the book to get more knowledge about trading. I also think that track record is really important.

Thank you for great advice.

One issue that I do not see in discussions is how to design and create a stable architecture for a software system that is easy to maintain down the years.

I'm not talking about a one-person throwaway/short lifecycle proof of concept.

Coding is not design and design is not architecture although the three are blurred in many(most?) software projects.

The Advanced C++11/C++14 course does address these topics in addition to C++ syntax. It's the only course I know that does so. Long story short: we combine the best design techniques from the last 35 years and map it to multiparadigm C++.

One issue that I do not see in discussions is how to design and create a stable architecture for a software system that is easy to maintain down the years.

I'm not talking about a one-person throwaway/short lifecycle proof of concept.

Coding is not design and design is not architecture although the three are blurred in many(most?) software projects.

The Advanced C++11/C++14 course does address these topics in addition to C++ syntax. It's the only course I know that does so. Long story short: we combine the best design techniques from the last 35 years and map it to multiparadigm C++.
That issue is not for Financial Engineers/Quants to solve.

That issue is not for Financial Engineers/Quants to solve.

What's the story then? How does the process work?

How then do you guarantee the quality of the finished product?

Requirements -> architecture -> design -> software products.

There must be a big communication issue here between the different stakeholders.

Won't things "get lost in translation" with so many links in the chain?

So, a trader does not have to program but how much of the other stuff does a trader need to know?

Last edited:
Back