• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

College Freshman - What can I be doing right now?

Currently I'm a freshman at Brown University, concentrating in Computer Science and Economics. From the recent career fair, I understand most hedge funds and the like are not interested in accepting freshmen or sophomores for internships.

I've done a lot in computer science (a lot of websites, back-ends, mobile apps, etc.) but have very little in the finance/economics department. What exactly can I be doing this early to try to get some things on my resume to show that I can be proficient? Also, where do I get started? Thanks everyone!

See if anyone in the econ or finance depts needs a research assistant. RAs with programming skills are quite valuable. Also start scheduling informational interviews with people in industry. And get to know the juniors and seniors. They will be in a prime position to help you network when you are a jr or sr yourself.

Get a 4.0 GPA. Everything you have to learn for your course, learn really well.

Thanks!

Currently I have a fairly easy semester though, just to fill some pre-reqs for the more interesting classes.

Currently I'm a freshman at Brown University, concentrating in Computer Science and Economics. From the recent career fair, I understand most hedge funds and the like are not interested in accepting freshmen or sophomores for internships.

I've done a lot in computer science (a lot of websites, back-ends, mobile apps, etc.) but have very little in the finance/economics department. What exactly can I be doing this early to try to get some things on my resume to show that I can be proficient? Also, where do I get started? Thanks everyone!
Do you have a portfolio of the projects (web or app) you have done? If you are a great developer, I can think of a few ideas that would be GREAT to put on your resume. Contact me if you are interested.

Do you have a portfolio of the projects (web or app) you have done? If you are a great developer, I can think of a few ideas that would be GREAT to put on your resume. Contact me if you are interested.
Sent you a message!

Back