• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Columbia Math Fin vs UChicago MsFM

Hello, folks!
Recently I received offers from these two programs. I'm an international student in my last year of college, hoping to seek employment in the US after graduation. Any quant-related jobs will be fine (I'm at the entry-level with no prior experience so won't be picky at all). I've been reading some reviews and comparisons in the forum, consulted several friends that recently graduated from these programs and concluded some pros and cons of the two programs that concern me:

Columbia MAFN:
Pro:
1. NYC is a big plus with more variety of and more job opportunities.
2. Stronger alumni network in the industry. (I read somewhere in the forum that UChicago is relatively underrepresented in Wall Street as more people seek employment in Chicago)
Con:
1. Curriculum structure seems to be disorganized and there are limited electives to take.
2. Face competition from MFE, MSOR, Columbia business school, and other great schools and programs in/around NY.

Chicago MsFM:
Pro:
1. Strong brand name in the Chicago area.
2. Project labs help to secure internships.
Con:
1. Night classes and the district is pretty dangerous.
2. More buy-side firms in Chicago, which are difficult for an international student to get in.

In terms of internships, I think UChicago does slightly better. However, career outcomes seem to be similar (both programs have mediocre career services).
Did I miss anything important about these programs? Which program would be better for me to take?
Any comment or help is appreciated!

MAFN. Go NYC and you will never regret. These two offer the same career service and similar brand name. NYC is levels higher than Chicago if a job is your priority.

MAFN. Go NYC and you will never regret. These two offer the same career service and similar brand name. NYC is levels higher than Chicago if a job is your priority.
Yeah I am leaning towards Columbia now. Thanks for the advice!

Back