• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!
Columbia University - Masters in Financial Engineering

Columbia MFE Columbia MFE admissions results

• Thread starter Thread starter Vixus
  • Start date Start date
Yes, I am glad for the admission. The dinger is to accept/deny by 23rd, with $4K deposit. I am not sure about such an aggressive timeline.
Any comments?

Hi congratulations for all the students who got admits from Columbia today, just wanted to know when is the deposit deadline for you guys.
I did not get an admit but I read on another thread that the deadline is the 23rd of this month.

23rd Feb is a very aggressive deadline. Why is Columbia doing this? are other schools also giving out admits this early so Columbia knows you can choose?

23rd Feb is a very aggressive deadline. Why is Columbia doing this? are other schools also giving out admits this early so Columbia knows you can choose?
I’ve seen in years past that Columbia makes quite a few more offers in later batches. I believe their early deadline is so they can get a good idea on who else they want to offer and who to reject.

But this means it is better to get accepted later than now. Columbia shouldnt accept the top candidates now and put them in a difficult position.

That's precisely what they're aiming for though. They want first dibs on the top candidates who are likely to be accepted by other top schools like CMU, Courant, Berkeley, Princeton, Baruch. Best outcome you'll join Columbia, worst, they keep your $4k deposit. That's what they've been doing for the past few years if you dig through old threads or ask people.

That's precisely what they're aiming for though. They want first dibs on the top candidates who are likely to be accepted by other top schools like CMU, Courant, Berkeley, Princeton, Baruch. Best outcome you'll join Columbia, worst, they keep your $4k deposit. That's what they've been doing for the past few years if you dig through old threads or ask people.
Lol 1) snatch the top candidates -> 2) hope they get a job at Jane Street/Citadel/Two Sigma (large Columbia alum base here according to LinkedIn)/AQR/Man Group/Bridgewater/etc -> 3) increase program's starting salary -> 4) improve QN ranking -> 5) attract top candidates -> 1)

Last edited:
I got an admit on the same day as a few others reported in this post. I did not receive a zoom interview invite, and I think video intro (Optional) + pre-recorded question interview (available via link to the application) were the only interviews/recordings required for most I have heard from.

This thread primarily speaks about financial engineering interviews/admits.

Hi I was just wondering if you had to do a Zoom interview? and did you apply to the financial engineering or financial economics?
There's a separate thread on this forum for finanical economics

Hi guys, my application status has been changed to "under review", was it the same before you guys getting your decision or does this mean that i am waitlisted. Any thing you can comment would be really helpful

Hi guys, my application status has been changed to "under review", was it the same before you guys getting your decision or does this mean that i am waitlisted. Any thing you can comment would be really helpful
Same for me. I think it is more like waitlist/ reject

Back