• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!
Columbia University - Masters in Financial Engineering

Columbia MFE Columbia MFE admissions results

• Thread starter Thread starter Vixus
  • Start date Start date
thats a tricky one. i would stay away from doing that. always feels a lil unethical. also there might a clause in the acceptantce of offer that makes it binding

You're not bound legally or anything. Morally...maybe. You'd lose $2500 but they can't force you to go to their school haha

Hi all, I thought I'd offer a non-international experience. I was invited to interview on Feb 7th and had my interview today. As others have mentioned it primarily focused on two questions: 1) have you applied to any other programs besides Columbia and 2) What are your plans following graduation.

I think I may have avoided some of the technical questions because I have a longer work history than many applicants. More specifically, with only 20 minutes to give a full rundown on my history, we just barely were able to go through my resume and answer the standard questions before our time was up.

Hope that's helpful to anyone applying domestically!

:) not much word from those who got in yet. Hope I am not the only prospective MSFE candidate who's interested in networking in preparation for next year.

OK, I should try contacting current students and alumni.

Another question: Say I pay the non-refundable tuition deposit of $2500 by February 24th. If I get accepted by MIT after that, can I decline Columbia's offer and choose to go to MIT instead? Or am I bound to Columbia by paying the $2500?
I was in the same position as you. You will be bound to the 2500. But I personally liked Columbia better. MIT was kind of not focused in Quant anyway.

Hi all, I thought I'd offer a non-international experience. I was invited to interview on Feb 7th and had my interview today. As others have mentioned it primarily focused on two questions: 1) have you applied to any other programs besides Columbia and 2) What are your plans following graduation.

I think I may have avoided some of the technical questions because I have a longer work history than many applicants. More specifically, with only 20 minutes to give a full rundown on my history, we just barely were able to go through my resume and answer the standard questions before our time was up.

Hope that's helpful to anyone applying domestically!
Received my formal offer today!

Ok thanks! 10 minutes are too short for technical questions. So we must not fail one because there are just 2 or 3 questions ...

I know no one will really care about this since everyone's getting interview invites and what not, but a friend of mine got a question on "Question" tab regarding admission to an alternate MS program. So I guess it does have a use after all.

Anyways grats on the admission to anyone who got in!.

Last edited:
I got the alternate MS program question too. And I got it after my interview. I wonder why did they ask it. May be they are considering me now for the alternate program

Same here, I got the interview few days ago and I found the question tab on my application. But my friend without the interview has the same question. I believe everyone without a final decision all got this. Is there anyone who did the interview and not have the question about considering the alternate program?

Back