• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!
Columbia University - Masters in Financial Engineering

Columbia MFE Columbia MFE admissions results

• Thread starter Thread starter Vixus
  • Start date Start date
Exactly what I have heard... it is really tough getting placed even if you are from one of the best university... dont know how much this reflects on the job market, university academics, career placement services efficacy and students personal level of preparation...

On an individual basis, personal preparation gives an edge; on a university basis, academic program and career services gives a batch an edge; but the poor level of placements as a whole is a function only of a moribund job market. Or as another poster pointed out a week back, the jobs that are out there are asking for ever greater amounts of expertise. Spending $100,000 a year and not even being sure of a placement is one big gamble.

Hi! Anyone knows about the class size of this 2014 fall entrance? And also why they canceled the summer course in July this year? I've emailed the admission office but haven't heard back from them yet. Thanks very much for your information!;)

Has anyone just got emails today? I just found an interview request this morning, and wondering how many vacancies left ahead as it's already so late. Is that kind of waiting list? (I didn't know to check the website and found the tab for interview this Monday...)

I pretty much decided on Columbia and then got an offer from NYU today. Now I'm unclear as these two seem pretty close in reputation. Any ideas? thanks.

I pretty much decided on Columbia and then got an offer from NYU today. Now I'm unclear as these two seem pretty close in reputation. Any ideas? thanks.
Congrats, NYU has more mathematics, but Columbia has a bigger name I think. BTW, did you receive the interview before admitted into NYU?

Thanks mumuyang! I'm starting to come to the same conclusion which is why I am going to Columbia. As for interview, no, I did not interview (don't recall that being a part of the process as stated on their website). I did not submit a video either. Good luck to you!

Where did you find the information about interviews at MSFE? I can't find any info on Columbia MSFE page that there is some interview in the admissions process.

Where did you find the information about interviews at MSFE? I can't find any info on Columbia MSFE page that there is some interview in the admissions process.
In the Tracker, you can find some former applicants received interviews. For example, "INT: 2014-02-14" means this applicant had an interview on 2014/2/14. You can also find some posts about MSFE interview in this forum. Just click "Columbia MSFE" on the top, you can see them.

No one received interview yet? I visited several forums and did not find any post talking about the MSFE interviews.

According to the historical record, there should be interview in the admission process of MSFE. I email Admission office and got “Thank you for contacting our office. The interview is not a required part of the application process and not every department decides to use it, even year to year. If the department decides to hold interviews they will contact you with details. ” In fact, the reply is ambiguous because Columbia might delay the interview this year or just stop using interview. Anyway, the official website of Columbia IEOR said they would notify MSFE applicants by the third week of Feb.

Not yet. Many candidates had already passed the interview by early February last year. That makes me a little depressed.

Not yet. Many candidates had already passed the interview by early February last year. That makes me a little depressed.
Same here. But I have not seen anyone received the interview. It is clear that Columbia MSFE would release their admissions by the end of Feb. (They said in the Admission F&Q

Hey guys, I am waiting for the interview also. Please update the tracker if you guys hear anything.

Hey yolo zhang,
Did you get this info. from someone or just intution??
Just intution. But as you can in this post, I got reply from Columbia, they told me "The interview is not a required part of the application process and not every department decides to use it, even year to year. ". Today is 2/6 and Columbia MSFE usually release their admission decisions by the third week of Feb. If they decide to use interview, they should have sent the interview invitations. But it is still possible that they just delay the interview this year.

Back