• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Columbia MFE vs Oxford MFE

Hi,

I received ADs from Columbia MFE and Oxford MFE. Now I'm having trouble deciding which one to accept.
I am looking for a job with BB or asset manager in Hong Kong after graduation . I guess the major factor of consideration is which university has a better recognition in Hong Kong/ China and stronger alumni network?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Is that Oxford Master in Financial Economics you're talking about? As far as I know, it's not as quant oriented. Throw that into consideration as well...

Is that Oxford Master in Financial Economics you're talking about? As far as I know, it's not as quant oriented. Throw that into consideration as well...
Hey John, thanks for the headsup! And yea I understand the financial economics program at Oxford is more general than the financial engineering program at Columbia. However, I am not looking for a hardcore 'quanty' role after graduation. My area is Asset Management or maybe a structuring role within IB.

I don't suppose UK is more favourable to HK than the US? I would suggest Oxford purely based on the latter but I suppose prestige is secondary compared to your capabilities and of course your network.

On a personal note, I knew someone from the MFE course at Oxford and according to him, the course was an utter waste of time and advised us to steer clear of it. Then again, another acquaintance of mine, an Oxford MFE graduate as well seems to have no problems with the course whatsoever.

Hey John, thanks for the headsup! And yea I understand the financial economics program at Oxford is more general than the financial engineering program at Columbia. However, I am not looking for a hardcore 'quanty' role after graduation. My area is Asset Management or maybe a structuring role within IB.
I think OX MFE will better suit your need in that case. Moreover, I have heard that Oxford is very well reputed in commonwealth nations and HK. If your mind is already set on HK, Oxford looks better than Columbia in terms of the brand name.

By the way, I got accepted to OX MS MCF. Chances are that I see you there...

If you are interested in structuring, which I believe is under S&T usually, I believe Oxford is a better choice. As far as I know, banks only take in undergraduates for S&T in the US.

I think OX MFE will better suit your need in that case. Moreover, I have heard that Oxford is very well reputed in commonwealth nations and HK. If your mind is already set on HK, Oxford looks better than Columbia in terms of the brand name.

By the way, I got accepted to OX MS MCF. Chances are that I see you there...
Great job with the MCF! I talked to a few people working in the finance sector in China. They say granted OX traditionally has a very strong brand name, Columbia's alumni network in HK/China is much stronger in finance nowadays.

If you are interested in structuring, which I believe is under S&T usually, I believe Oxford is a better choice. As far as I know, banks only take in undergraduates for S&T in the US.
Really? I always thought you can still get in some 'quanty' trading areas like rates and forex with a master's degree. At least it looks like the case from the websites of several finance programs?

Really? I always thought you can still get in some 'quanty' trading areas like rates and forex with a master's degree. At least it looks like the case from the websites of several finance programs?

This is what I've heard from a current student and careers service advisor. For example, if you take a look at Carnegie's MSCF grads, you can see that actually relatively few students get placed in Analyst trading roles at BBs in New York. But asset management and prop trading are always open to you, and as far as I know BBs in Asia/London have no problem hiring Masters students for Analyst trading roles.

If you are deadset on Hong Kong, I think the Oxford name brand (also LSE) will carry you further than columbia.

Back