• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MS Applied Mathemtics - opinion on the street?

As the title says. I have an admit from this program and am considering attending it. I want to know if this/similar degrees are viewed favourably by firms hiring for quant research roles. It obviously won’t be as good as a STEM Phd, but I’m a little worried it may be perceived as a cash cow program (because of columbia’s reputation for being expensive).

(I also have prior work ex in Quant Research, I’m mainly going to be doing this degree to fill knowledge gaps and switch locations)

You should contact the alumni and ask for their feedback regarding the program. You can also find people from this program who are in your desired role and ask them whether their co-workers are from Applied Math or have a PhD/MFE. Do the same for the other programs that you are targeting and you will have a very good picture of those programs. Ideally, you should have done this before applying, but it's never too late.

Back