Columbia MSOR Columbia MSFE reject, redirected to MSOR

CCN

New Member
Hi,

I have just been rejected from Columbia's MSFE a few days ago, and have been offered a chance to reapply for their MSOR program. At this time, I am still unsure of whether I want to go for MSOR. However, the deadline is approaching and I don't quite understand the process. In the email, it says

"If indeed you do wish to be considered for admission to our MSOR program and would accept our offer of admission if admitted, please respond tothis email by Wednesday, March 9th " --- (I think they made a mistake, March 9, 2012 is Friday, so now it would assume the deadline is Wednesday March 7th instead, but this is not my question)

My questions is that when it says "would accept our offer of admission if admitted", does it mean that we HAVE to accept the offer or just that we SHOULD accept the offer if admitted? I am still waiting on more results to come out but don't want to rule out my opportunity here. Are there any consequences of not accepting the offer if admitted? e.g. being put on a list that would affect my chances of getting into other programs at Columbia if I ever decide to apply there again?

Thanks!

p.s. I am also willing to accept any suggestions on whether going for the MSOR is a good idea, if you want to share. :)
 

iaochiwa

New Member
I am also placed on the waiting list now. They said the final result of the waiting-list applicant would be notified on mid-April. Does anybody know if they would do the substitution (AD off from WL) by a rolling-basis or just sending out the last batch by one time? And how many percentage of the applicants getting the WL compared to only <15% getting the AD? Thank you!
 

JimHua

New Member
There are two types of rej, one with redirection and one without. And this has been confirmed!
 

Chashu

Member
My questions is that when it says "would accept our offer of admission if admitted", does it mean that we HAVE to accept the offer or just that we SHOULD accept the offer if admitted? I am still waiting on more results to come out but don't want to rule out my opportunity here. Are there any consequences of not accepting the offer if admitted? e.g. being put on a list that would affect my chances of getting into other programs at Columbia if I ever decide to apply there again?p.s. I am also willing to accept any suggestions on whether going for the MSOR is a good idea, if you want to share. :)
I doubt any university could put any sort of binding on the students to join a course if admitted.. Admission offers are meant to be like OFFERS..we of course are free to accept or reject them..

A similar doubt came when I got an admit offer from Boston Univ this month.. I was supposed to accept/deny(deposit 1000USD for acceptance) by Feb 22nd.. Now by then, I hadn't received responses from other univs so I had to reserve my seat and accept the offer.. Now if in the next 1-2 months, I do receive another offer, am I not allowed to consider it? By accepting BU, am I under any sort of boundation to join them and not consider anywhere else?

correct me if I am wrong..
 
I doubt any university could put any sort of binding on the students to join a course if admitted.. Admission offers are meant to be like OFFERS..we of course are free to accept or reject them..

A similar doubt came when I got an admit offer from Boston Univ this month.. I was supposed to accept/deny(deposit 1000USD for acceptance) by Feb 22nd.. Now by then, I hadn't received responses from other univs so I had to reserve my seat and accept the offer.. Now if in the next 1-2 months, I do receive another offer, am I not allowed to consider it? By accepting BU, am I under any sort of boundation to join them and not consider anywhere else?

correct me if I am wrong..
I believe that if you decide not to go to BU the only thing that will happen is you wont get your deposit back.
 
Hi,

I have just been rejected from Columbia's MSFE a few days ago, and have been offered a chance to reapply for their MSOR program. At this time, I am still unsure of whether I want to go for MSOR. However, the deadline is approaching and I don't quite understand the process. In the email, it says

"If indeed you do wish to be considered for admission to our MSOR program and would accept our offer of admission if admitted, please respond tothis email by Wednesday, March 9th " --- (I think they made a mistake, March 9, 2012 is Friday, so now it would assume the deadline is Wednesday March 7th instead, but this is not my question)

My questions is that when it says "would accept our offer of admission if admitted", does it mean that we HAVE to accept the offer or just that we SHOULD accept the offer if admitted? I am still waiting on more results to come out but don't want to rule out my opportunity here. Are there any consequences of not accepting the offer if admitted? e.g. being put on a list that would affect my chances of getting into other programs at Columbia if I ever decide to apply there again?

Thanks!

p.s. I am also willing to accept any suggestions on whether going for the MSOR is a good idea, if you want to share. :)
I think what they are saying is that they don't want you to respond to them to considered for an admit into OR unless you were to accept if you were admitted. Even if you do ask to be considered there is nothing that will force you to accept an offer if admitted.

There are many posts here that talk about the OR at Columbia compared to FE fx. Look them up :)
 

mfegrad

CMU MSCF Alum
they just want to keep their yield up to make themselves look good. it's the same reason why they "reject" people who have withdrawn their applications.

they cannot force you to attend. this is a game; play them as they've played you.
 

Yang_Pop

Tina.Yang
I received this email too, and I have replied that I agree with the redirection. Actually, I am still not sure about whether to do the "quant job" in the future. I might translate my research field in the future, and I was wondering if most of the courses of MSOR are highly related to programming?
 

susanvilla

New Member
I received this email too, and I have replied that I agree with the redirection. Actually, I am still not sure about whether to do the "quant job" in the future. I might translate my research field in the future, and I was wondering if most of the courses of MSOR are highly related to programming?
This is also why accept the redirection. Even though I received admission from other FM and MFE programs, I do not believe that all of the students in MFE can be quant in the future. We should have more considerations.
But I have a question, after you respond to the email, have they emailed you anything? Someone on another forum said his account was locked after accepting the redirection. In fact, I can still edit my file, can you?
 

yaoyaoxy

New Member
I received this email too, and I have replied that I agree with the redirection. Actually, I am still not sure about whether to do the "quant job" in the future. I might translate my research field in the future, and I was wondering if most of the courses of MSOR are highly related to programming?
After you reply the mail, have you received an official rejection letter? or have your online application form been locked? I replied the mail on Feb. 29, but i have received nothing until now. So i want to check whether there are someone else like me.
 

susanvilla

New Member
After you reply the mail, have you received an official rejection letter? or have your online application form been locked? I replied the mail on Feb. 29, but i have received nothing until now. So i want to check whether there are someone else like me.
My situation is the same as yours. Do you know what is the probability of being admitted by MSOR after being redirected to it? And when will we receive the decision?
 

Yang_Pop

Tina.Yang
After you reply the mail, have you received an official rejection letter? or have your online application form been locked? I replied the mail on Feb. 29, but i have received nothing until now. So i want to check whether there are someone else like me.
I have just checked my online application, and it seems that there was a delay. My final decision still shows "pending", and I can edit mu information
 

susanvilla

New Member
I have just checked my online application, and it seems that there was a delay. My final decision still shows "pending", and I can edit mu information
OK, thanks. Same with you. Do you know what is the probability of being admitted by MSOR after being redirected to it? And when will we receive the decision?
 

Yang_Pop

Tina.Yang
OK, thanks. Same with you. Do you know what is the probability of being admitted by MSOR after being redirected to it? And when will we receive the decision?
I have no idea of that either, but it's said that 80%of the students in MSOR were redirected from MFE.
 
Top