• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MSOR vs Cornell FE

Which program would you select?

• Columbia MSOR

• Cornell FE

Results are only viewable after voting.
Columbia MSOR is a 30 credit program that has only 4 core courses, while the rest of the program is very flexible aplowing students to take courses in the IEOR department and others such CS and B school. In addition you can also take some of the MFE courses such big data in finance, ML FE courses, optimization and others.

I also have an offer from Cornell‘s FE program which is also a great program.

I am currently employed outside the US in a large asset management institution and will most probably return back, so career services is not very important to me.
I come from an engineering background with 4 years of experience in the financial industry.

I would appreciate if anyone would have any advice on which program to attend.

Hi,
I also applied to MSOR. Could you tell me when you received your offer ? In my case, I haven't received anything yet
Best

Received offers for Cornell FE and Columbia M.S. applied math (in the engineering school). I can't speak to the Columbia MFE specifically, but flexibility is a big attraction for myself and alumni I spoke with (5 required courses, the other 5 in your choice of IEOR/CS).

Cornell FE works out to roughly 50/50 (12 credits in optimization/stochastic modeling/statistical modeling required for all ORIE students, plus 12 elective credits: Jarrow fixed income course, Averbukh MBS course, etc.). With Columbia you get more electives and a longer list to choose from, but the Cornell core offerings are quite solid (and probably even well-taught to some degree, since they cover central topics).

Probably depends on what exactly you want to get out of the program. I think you can get the hard math and machine learning at either.

Back