• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Comment on my choice of course for this summer

I'm graduating with a computer science degree and I want to strengthen my background in math so I applied and was accepted to the Quantitative Studies for Finance Certificate at Columbia (pretty much a rubber stamp application process). I have Calc I/II, introductory statistics, and linear algebra under my belt. I've also written a paper about numerical methods in PDE approximation (by virtue of taking a class in numerical analysis). I'm able to skip some of the calculus sequence to take one of the following courses at Columbia,

- Ordinary Differential Equations
- Probability
- Introduction to Modern Analysis
- Analysis & Optimization

Given my background, what would you recommend?

ODE seems like it would be useful but since I've already had experience with approximating PDEs, I thought it may be less useful for me. The analysis course sounds interesting and it would also strengthen my application in an area I don't have much experience in, pure mathematics, but would that be looked upon favorably?

Suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Yes, my programming skills are strong, especially in C.

I have a job for the next few years and I would like to take these courses to eventually go back to school for an MFE.

I haven't taken Calc III but they're letting me skip it so I can take a more advanced course instead and I would like to know which would be best (or, alternatively, should finish the calculus sequence/does it matter to adcoms?).

Personally, I think you should take Calc III. I don't understand why you would want to skip that. You may be able to learn it on your own, but I think strengthening your foundation would benefit you more in the long run since Calc I-III knowledge is so widely assumed.

Back