• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Chicago MSFM Compare: UChicago MSFM vs. UWaterloo MQF

Chicago MSMF vs. Waterloo MQF

• Chicago MSMF

• Waterloo MQF

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hey guys,
I'm a 18fall applicant and currently, I've gotten the ads from UChicago MSFM, UWaterloo MQF, UWashington CFRM (10,000 scholarship), UChicago MACSS(2/3 tuition waiver).
Now I'm hesitating between Chicago MSFM and Waterloo MQF.
From my perspective, Waterloo's MQF is a very "safe" program, you almost secure an internship and fulltime position. However, most graduates go to risk management positions, which means there will be less opportunities for those "fancy" jobs, like quant trader at a top BB (even thought this is not easy for a US MFE graduate either. I heard a lot of MFE graduate in the US go to risk too, but not sure if it is true). On the UChicago side, the brand name of the university is definitely a strength. However, as an international student, I'm a little afraid of the visa issue, and as far as I know, MSFM's career service is not as helpful as MQF.
So I really look forward to hearing about thoughts from you guys, like your opinions on these 2 programs, and what's the difference between risk management roles in the US and Canada, what about the salary, etc.
I believe your viewpoints will be super helpful to me and will open up my mind. Thanks in advance!

As a student from Waterloo, I would recommend you go to Chicago...There are not many large funds in Canada.

As a student from Waterloo, I would recommend you go to Chicago...There are not many large funds in Canada.
Thank you very much for your reply. I totally agree that Canada is a much smaller market comparing to the U.S. Are you from the MQF program? I would love to learn more about the program.

Thank you very much for your reply. I totally agree that Canada is a much smaller market comparing to the U.S. Are you from the MQF program? I would love to learn more about the program.
Ah, no, I'm undergraduate in CS. MQF is still a pretty good program though and I do know some friends in Ph.D. applying for that. So, it is a highly competitive program.

I would suggest Waterloo MQF if you are too worried about visa issue. You can always move to the US once you work for 4-5 years in Canada and gain Canadian citizenship.

Ah, no, I'm undergraduate in CS. MQF is still a pretty good program though and I do know some friends in Ph.D. applying for that. So, it is a highly competitive program.
Yes, I heard that's very competitive and I feel very lucky to get admitted. Thank you for your reply and good luck with your application!

I would suggest Waterloo MQF if you are too worried about visa issue. You can always move to the US once you work for 4-5 years in Canada and gain Canadian citizenship.
Really appreciate your reply. Yes, I've thought about that, if I can find a job in the U.S. after 4-5 years (very tough though), that'll be a pretty good choice. Apart from this, since I'm from China, I could also take Hong Kong as my next destination, do you have any comments on working in Canada vs. working in Hong Kong? Thank you in advance!

Back